Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

NickGirl SILVER, Moscow, Other

Who says your not the prettiest?
Who says you can't be the best?
Who Says you don't pass the test?

-Nick*Girl

I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS THAY ROCK!!!!

ESPECIALLY KEVIN!!!

CharlesHines401 GOLD, Brandon, Florida

"Measure your life in love." Johnathan Larson

"Put Crisco on them problems and see how easy they slide away." Blu Bailey

"Tears don't mean you're losing. Everybody's bruising. There's nothing wrong with who you are" Jessie J.

I love the Jonas Brothers. They write from their hearts. Sometimes they're not spot on but they're real and they just love to sing. They don't try to be anyone else. They just enjoy their music. They use music for what it was meant for EXPRESSION!!!

k11miza BRONZE said...
k11miza BRONZE, Waianae, Hawaii
Yeah, Nick's band's still got it

stellabella21 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 1 photo 22 comments
This was a really well written review but i disagree the jonas brothers are not talented and they are not nice people well at least Joe isn't he dumped taylor swift over the phone deserted Demi Lovato in her time of need and if this isn't proof of a player I don't know what is

xx..PieIsAwkward..xx BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois

"stap it, rahn"

Ahem...

Though your article was clearly very well thought out and written...

The Jonas Brothers do not make good music. It's just the same generic garbage pop keeps throwing in our face over and over again expecting us to think just because someone else sings it, it's not the same as some song that was all over the place last week.

They're songs all sound the same

They're cliche, and none of them are very original

And the fandom

Oh, God, the fandom...

Those are my thoughts.

NICK=HOT ILOVE YOU!! <3

JOE=I HATE YOU CUZ UR A PLAYER

:-(

KEVIN=HAVE FUN WITH UR WIFE!!!!!!!!

Jellie said...
I, like the most of the Jonas population, has given up on the band. Their music is now too disney. But Nick's band's music is pretty awesome!!!

lil boo said...
they stink they havent had a hit in like 6 months and there shows are all over bc they stink they have no more fans and i dont even think that they are doing anymore cocerts!!!!!!!!!!!

redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
i disagree with you, but it's well written

ShelbyMarie93 PLATINUM, Lexington, Nebraska

"When Death to either shall come -- I pray it be first to me." ~Robert Bridges
or
"Life is not a jump; it's a headfirst dive."
or
"Within you I lose myself; without you I find myself wanting to be lost again."

╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.Isaac H.

Wow...when did this turn into a hate-session for the Jonas Brothers? This writer was simply giving their own personal review of the Jonas Brothers, and I agree with him. I am not ashamed to say that I am a fan of the Jonas Brothers. And to all of you hating on them, you're probably just jealous. When was the last time you had a concert sell out? Hmm? oh that's right, NEVER. Just saying...

SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois

If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

Oh my god!!! i loveeee switchfoot and the beatles and bob marley. Chevelle is a favorite too(:. well written(:

BMTH2000 SILVER, Park City, Utah

its only so i dont lose my girl...
-Kaname Kuran
"I may not be living but I sure as hell ain't dying."
-Morgan Freeman

I have nothing against the jonas brothers nor the people who like them. But Im under the very firm impression they have no talent in music. Sure, the kevin dude knows how to play guitar, but so do millions of other people. Nothing special there. If you want something special in guitar look up van halen. Also, Joe, the singing kid sounds screechy and whiny, and almost in pain at times. I personally find them rather pathetic. 

cmCampbell SILVER, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

"Every minute you spend angry is 60 seconds you lose of happiness!"

they were over before they started! ;D

Thank you! Okay, so i thought that this articke was extremely well written, however, I strongly agree with Kate1234! The Jonas Brothers used computerized sounds to spound relatively passable. Their instrumentals dont even scratch the surface of musicianship. And their sense of style is just about as bad as it gets! The reason no one knows boys who wear tight purple jeans is because it is extraordinarily unfashionable and not to mention unhealthy! If the Jonas Brothers were so in-tune with everything they would know that wearing skinny jeans as men is unhealthy and unrecommended by any doctor or health teacher you talk to!

poetry14 SILVER, Timonium, Maryland
I'm a huge fan of the Jonas Brothers, and I like how this article described them, even though there is so much more that could be said. I think that so many people are caught up in the idea that they are just your ordinary bubblegum pop boy band, but they are not. Listen to their last album. Even better, listen to Nick Jonas and the Administration. If you have an open mind, I think they might surprise you.

AlyceMcKnight BRONZE, Rochester, Washington

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

I believe that the Jonas Brothers' music is great but I'm not going to go on about how much I like them. I just want to point out that some people don't like them because they are good guys. They don't do drugs, they aren't out getting drunk like some stars end up doing.

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

Ugh! People, commenting is about the article, NOT whether or not you like the Jonas Brothers! And I thought this was well-written! I like Joe, but some reviews I disagree with, yet still think are insightful!

ellepineapple BRONZE, San Francisco, California

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do"

I totally agree with you. I don't like the jonas brothers at all but some of their songs r good. But my ears will bleed too.

shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut

i rather die on my feet than live on my knees

i completely agree jonas brothers being soulful is laughable at best 

Kate1234 said...

I completely disagree with this article. The Jonas Brothers are not a unique band- not at all, and you can find many other teenage artists that create commercialised pop music every day, such as the new Justin Bieber and even, on occasion, Miley Cyrus. Others have tried to become a famous 'band', such as the Jonas Brothers, but have failed because they do not have the access to the music industry that this band did. Also, the Jonas Brothers' fan club simply consists of young teenage girls that scream and sometimes cry, not for their music, but for thier cheesy, over-rated looks.

I also disagree with the fact that their music is 'reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music'. It is evident to any person that would listen to their music without watching them peform and judging them on their looks, that The Jonas Brothers' music is pop and it is completely riduclous that their music should be stated otherwise.

I say, bring back old school music, and people loving music because it is a form of relief and something that one could take refuge in, not because the lead singer is good looking.