God Help The Outcasts by Disney (Esmeralda) | Teen Ink

God Help The Outcasts by Disney (Esmeralda)

By JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other
JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other

"God Help The Outcasts" is a wonderful song sung by the beautiful Esmeralda from the Disney movie, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". This ballad is sung in a cathedral after Esmeralda sees how the hunchback, Quasimodo, and her people are treated by others.

"I don't know if You can hear me
Or if You're even there
I don't know if You would listen
To a gypsie's prayer", is the first few lines of this song. Even though the song has just begun, you can already see how much meaning it contains. This part is about how it seems like God doesn't listen to you or help you, no matter how much you pray or talk to him. Sometimes it even feels like he isn't even listening to you.

"God help the outcasts
Hungry from birth
Show them the mercy
They don't find on earth
God help my people
We look to You still
God help the outcasts
Or nobody will", these are the memorable lines from the refrain of the song. This part has so much emotion. It tells us how outcasts have been alone for as long as they could remember. It shows us that everyone in society doesn't care one bit about them, and they're only hope is from God.

But in the middle of the song, Esmeralda passes by a few parishioners who sing
"I ask for wealth
I ask for fame
I ask for glory to shine on my name
I ask for love I can posess
I ask for God and His angels to bless me".
There are a lot of people on this earth who ask for things they can live without. All these people want are fame and fortune. But they don't realize that there are other people out there that need more than that. They don't realize that there are many excluded people out there that need someone to talk to.

This song shows us that even though the outcasts feel alone, they can always call on God for help. It also show us how society judges everyone and how people should be treated equally. Overall, I am very impressed that Disney was able to come up with such a meaningful song about everyone's faith in God.

"God Help The Outcasts" is an amazing song that almost everyone can relate to.