Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers

I will admit that I have OJD, (Obsessive Jonas Disorder). I take no shame in it, either. I am a fourteen-year-old girl, who LOVES the Jonas Brothers. Everyone who doesn't know them or their songs thinks that they are still the Disney Idols that sing “Year 3000” or “Kids of the Future”. Those are catchy and memorable songs. However, it's not what they sing now. Their lyrics are deep but relatable. They write and sing songs that about what every other teenager in the world goes through: relationships and hardships. The words to their songs can go so deep that you really feel like you are in the song. It's not necessarily the words themselves, but the meaning behind them.

“I don't want to fall asleep. I don't know if I'll get up. I don't want to cause a scene, but I'm dying without your love. Begging to hear your voice, tell me you love me too. I'd rather just be alone, if I know that I can't have you.” This is the chorus of their song ‘Can't Have You'. It is one of my favorites. The lyrics are simple but the truth is not. The emotion put into these few words makes them come alive.

“Broken hearts and last goodbyes. Restless nights but lullabies help to make this pain go away. I realize I let you down, told you that I'd be around. But building up the strength just to say… I'm sorry for breaking all the promises that I wasn't around to keep. It's on me. This time is the last time I will ever beg you to stay. But you're already on your way.” The first verse and chorus of ‘Sorry' come so close to my heart. I'm sure everyone has had a break up, or lost a friend, or even just quarreled with one. But more than that, I know we have all been sorry, at least once, in our lives.

This next song is very touching. Nick, the youngest of the three, wrote it about his type-1 diabetes. “Got the news today. Doctor said I had to stay, a little bit longer, and I'd be fine. When I thought it'd all been said. When I thought it'd all been done, a little bit longer, and I'd be fine. But you don't know what you got until its gone. And you don't know what it's like to feel so low. And every time you smile, you laugh, you glow. You don't even know. No, no. You don't even know.” It continues on with a kind of story. This song doesn't have to be about an illness or disease. It means hat there is always a tomorrow, even when the world is looking dull. It is titled ‘A Little Bit Longer'.

C'mon, lets face it… they ARE teenagers, or close to it, so they do have more light hearted songs. An upbeat, fun song is ‘One Man Show'. “I'm a one man show. I don't need no one. I'll be fine alone. Oh yeah. You can call me but I won't pick up my phone because I'm a one man show. Oh yeah.” Another one is ‘Video Girl' “Video girl rocked my world for a whole two seconds but now I know I'm not about to be another victim, of the video girl syndrome. Get out of my face, get out of my space. Get some class and kiss the past.. I'm not about to be another victim… of the video girl syndrome.”

The Jonas Brothers aren't just Disney pop stars. They are three brothers who get to live their dream and encourage others to not give up. They truly are an inspiration to many.

“Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top”

- Jonas Brothers

Hey! i love them too. ive been obsessed for four years and people always make fun. i reallyy agree with you! and im all the way in lebanon.. crying for them every night.

Thanks smileyface347! But after I posted this I realized that I messed up "A Little Bit Longer". Hahaha. I can't believe I did. Its my favorite song, too.

this was awesome! i love them too =] i love how you quoted all of those songs. i love a little bit longer, i can tell that nick wrote it with deep feelings. great job!