Drunken Lullabies | Teen Ink

Drunken Lullabies MAG

I’ve found that a band has to be really unique for me to be drawn in without knowing the reason why I enjoy their music. Flogging Molly is one of those bands. This group consists of a fiddle and tin flute player, a mandolin and banjo player, and an accordion player, along with the usual modern instruments. All these combine to make a sound unlike that of other modern music.

Flogging Molly combines traditional Irish folk music with aggressive punk to form a rock sound that can be hard to swallow at first. Once you give the album a few listens, though, the catchy, speedy tunes can become easy listening.

“Drunken Lullabies” is an album that can be listened to all the way through without a shred of disappointment. Unfortunately, though, as far as great songs go, the album begins at its zenith. The title track kicks the album off in a great way and “What’s Left of the Flag” forms a great sidekick. From there the album shifts from primarily punk-influenced songs to more of a folk sound like that of The Pogues.

Dave King (vocals, acoustic guitar) brings great songwriting and singing to the band. The song topics range from political struggle and patriotic tales of freedom to the occasional classic love story. Every song is great. Flogging Molly is definitely a band to look out for.