The Clash - Clash on Broadway | Teen Ink

The Clash - Clash on Broadway MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     “Clash on Broadway” includes more than 216 minutes and 63 songs from this well-known punk band from the early ྂs. This three-disk set has everything from classic hits and demos to unreleased recordings, including “Janie Jones,” “White Riot,” the classic “London Calling,” and many more. Between Joe Strummer's outstanding vocals and Topper Headon's dynamic drumming, “Clash on Broadway” is a must-have for your CD collection.

The Clash is a mix of rock, British punk and reggae. The songs “Guns of Brixton” and “Cool Confusion” bring out the reggae influence while songs like “Washington Bullets” and “Police On My Back” show the band's political viewpoint during a time of war and racism in the ྂs. My favorite is the upbeat “Death Or Glory,” which is about making music and being in underground bands that play shows in basements and bars.

This album is a perfect example of why The Clash has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Sadly, The Clash broke up in 1986, but if you like “Clash on Broadway,” you might be interested in Strummer's other endeavor, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. Though he had some hits with the Mescaleros, Strummer once said, “The Clash is the only band that matters.” I think you will agree once you listen to “Clash on Broadway.”