Me and My Broken Heart by Rixton | Teen Ink

Me and My Broken Heart by Rixton

March 22, 2014
By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
30 articles 9 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"


Trekking too close to the path of other successful artists is common with inexperienced bands and is often brushed aside as a novice mistake. However, there comes a point when deliberate imitations become intolerable. Rixton’s debut single, “Me and My Broken Heart”, falls under this category. It is simply a collage of borrowed goods.

The band’s songwriters, led by singer Jake Roche, become too entangled in the style of Maroon 5 throughout the track, essentially eliminating its individuality. The similarity to early Maroon 5 songs is undeniable in the early verses, leading one to question the band’s creativity. Adding fuel to the fire is Roche’s straining attempts to emulate the signature voices of Adam Levine and James Mercer. There is simply nothing original about this song.

Perhaps the most shamefully obvious acquisition can be heard in the song’s chorus, which is nearly identical to that of “Lonely No More” by Rob Thomas. It stood out to the point where a composer credit to Thomas was deemed necessary. This indolent tendency to settle for used material seems to imply the band’s purpose is to ride the coattails of other artists and get-rich-quick rather than expressing their pure talents to the world. This, together with the fact that the song was composed almost entirely by minds outside of the band, gives Rixton the appearance of a commercialized mess.

While the remainder of Rixton’s EP has shown potential with its cheery tunes, the album is tarnished with the inclusion of “Me and My Broken Heart”. The fact that this song was chosen as the album’s lead single is quite baffling. It may be appealing at first, but it pales in comparison to the songs it is clearly imitating. This lack of innovation could create a negative image for the band that may be difficult to overcome.

The author's comments:
I first heard this on the iTunes single of the week. I was stunned to hear them promoting this song hearing all of the obvious borrowing.