My Chemical Romance - “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge” | Teen Ink

My Chemical Romance - “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge” MAG

By Anonymous

     In 2001, a New Jersey band called My Chemical Romance was formed, featuring Frank Lero (guitar), Ray Toro (guitar), Bob Bryar (drums) and brothers Gerard (vocals) and Mikey Way (bass). They released their debut album “I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love” in 2002, which brought them instant respect and led to two years of touring Europe and North America with The Used, Taking Back Sunday, Thrice, Story of The Year and others.

Now, they have released “Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge,” featuring 13 songs written by the band. In their genre, this album is nothing short of brilliant. The music is a mix of pop-punk, thrash, gothic and screamo, with dark and stylish vocals.

The album begins by jumping into “Helena,” a preview of what is to come. “You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison” is simply stunning. Piano-like guitar riffs, use of overdrive, the bursts of the chorus, and Gerard’s “drama queen” tone and anguished lyrics make this one of the best songs. It also features a neat guitar solo and guest vocals from Bert McCracken of The Used.

“I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” is a catchy pop-punk tune that can appeal to the many MTV-and-Fuse-watching teens. The rest of the songs make use of organ and Western tones, along with power chords and effect pedals. “I Never Told You What I Do For a Living” is a good closer that keeps the overdramatic feeling until the very last note.

Overall, “Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge” is an impressive album. MCR, who played in the 2004 Vans Warped Tour, will gain many fans with their fresh sound. The album is well worth the price.