1989 by Taylor Swift | Teen Ink

1989 by Taylor Swift

By asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

Taylor Swift’s “1989,” her fifth album, was much awaited by fans. Famous for her country accent, curly locks, and relatable songs, Swift has turned away from Country to craft her first Pop album. Although her songs have a more edgy beat and her hair is straightened, her songs still hold a wide appeal.
      Upon hearing Swift was releasing her new album, following the major hit “Red”—winner of the “Best Country Album”—I could barely contain my excitement at hearing her creations with lyrics that so accurately portrayed my feelings. However, I was a bit skeptical about it being Pop, fearing that the lyrics would be meaningless. Out of the 13 tracks, some retain true to her style of connecting to the audience; yet, others fell short. 
The highlights of the album include “I Wish You Would,” a song that invites you to sing along while managing to make listeners nostalgic. “Shake It Off,” her first single, has already become with a major hit. Meanwhile, “I Know Places” demonstrates the maturity of Swift as she deviates from her fairy-tale stories to more realistic happenings.
      While all songs had a nice beat easy to follow on a dance floor, other songs had repetitive lyrics that not only didn’t display the full, confident vocals of Taylor and characteristic instrumentals, but were also purely meaningless. One of the most noticeable examples of this is “Welcome to New York.” Although it is nice to know how much Taylor enjoys her new home, the song contains none of her usual insightfulness. A further example of this is “Bad Blood” in that while it does show more maturity in theme, it has a few lines repeated over and over again.
      Overall, this album is her full transition from Country to Pop. If you, like me, are looking for simplistic, heartfelt lyrics similar to those of her previous songs, I would not recommend buying the entire album; instead, buy some select songs. However, if you truly enjoy diverse styles of Pop that range from heartfelt to dance songs then this is the perfect album for you. No doubt, no matter one’s taste, Taylor has again managed to appeal to a wide audience with her emotional and enthusiastic voice and stay in the spotlight of the music industry.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

I do have mixed feelings about the album - it's not my favorite thing in the world, but I agree with you, some songs are absolutely beautiful. Clean and Wonderland are really great, demonstrate her poetic style really well, and I even like Blank Space to an extent...but the song I personally am in love with is "Out of the Woods". I had a relationship exactly like it, and it just makes me feel everything I'd felt at the time - God, I just...it's magical, the way she does that. Although I hate Shake it Off, some of her music just hits the right mark.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I'm actually on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to Swift's music. I don't dislike her former music but I wasn't a fan of it. I do enjoy the whole new sound and look of Taylor. I do agree however that not every song was stellar. "Welcome to New York", I think, was bland, more of a filler track, if you will. As for your review, I love that your un-biasness. Any time a fan reviews the work of an artist she/he enjoys, the tendency is to be nice, even if he/she didn't like every thing about the artist's work. (I speak for myself.) Great review; and congrats on the Editor's Choice.

asofnow GOLD said...
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

My favorite song on her album that was similar to her County songs was Wonderland. However, unfortunately, that song is not on the normal CD track nor is it avalible for purchuse on itunes in the US whihc is quite a shame. 

ThatCheekyMonkey SILVER, Cork, California

Expect the Unexpected <3

As a great fan of Taylor Swift I couldn't myself wait for the new coming 1989 this year, hopeing to relate to all her songs. I agree with you on the fact that some are quite repetitive, which doesn't show her powerfuly complex emotions displayed as wondefully as in others like even Treacherous from Red, however she has written some beautiful lyrics like in Wildest dreams,clean and Wonderland, which display her voice and talent for her lyrical writting and give a sense of her "swiftiness" she always had. If you haven't yet listened I would recommend taking a look. I have to admit this was first Cd that i have not liked a few songs from like Welcome to new york or shake it off which represent her new 'Pop' self which is not a style she should continue with in my opinion.