The Musketeers | Teen Ink

The Musketeers

By Natitoon GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
Natitoon GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

The Musketeers

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

This is a historical drama from the British network BBC that came out in 2014 to 2016.  It has three seasons and is for people 14 and up because it has mature themes like violence and complex drama.   It can be seen on Amazon. Each season has 10 episodes.

Cast: Tom Burke (Athos), Santiago Cabrera (Aramis) , Luke Pasqualino (D'artagnan) Howard Charles (Porthos) and Maimie Mcoy (Milady)

Each season introduces new characters.

It is set in France in the 1600s. In this version there are a few changes in the story from the original novel by Alexander Dumas. 

First change: Milady has dark hair. She was blonde in the original story.

Second change:  The father of the protagonist, D'artagnan, dies.    

Milady is a bit older than her book counterpart.

They also add new characters like countess Ninon de Larroque, an educated woman who gives women a chance to learn.

The plot follows Charles D'artagnan, a young man who goes to Paris to avenge his father's death.   

The first season introduces the characters and the setting.

D'artagnan and his father Alexandre are going to Paris but the latter is killed on the road. Our hero vows to track down the killer. He spends the night at an inn where he meets a woman he is immediately attracted to. (Milady de winter) He later meets the musketeers and fights with  them. They eventually become friends.

This first season basically chronicles the start of D'artagnan's journey to become a musketeer.

The main antagonist of the first season is Cardenal Richelieu. (Peter Capaldi) He is manipulative and ambitious.

The second season introduces Count Rochefort and he is The villain in this season. 

Rochefort(Marc Warren) is a traitor to the crown because he secretly works for Spain.

He is in love with Queen Anne. he works with Milady. His personality is manipulative, smart , sadistic and charismatic. He is pathologically bitter because he spent years in prison.

Season two has the heroes in service of the crown and the group is in danger because somebody is trying to kill them to cause trouble in the group.

The group has their own personal drama to deal with.

The third season focuses on a war between France and Spain  and happens four years after season two.

This season they have missions for the crown. Each character tries going their own way.

Aramis decides to become a priest.

The main villains are Governor Feron (Rupert Everett) and Lucien Grimaud (Matthew Macnulty).

Feron is the king's half brother and the corrupt governor of Paris.

Grimaud is a criminal who grew up in the middle of  war and uses violence to deal with his issues.  

My opinion: I like this show because the characters are cool and the music is catchy. I like the fact that they change Milady's hair color to make it more obvious that she is a villain. I like the drama and also there are more conflicts between the characters and that's interesting because it's more personal. The special effects are great because they really capture the time period. The only thing I don't like is that there are only three seasons. 

References.

youtu.be/pmDWE8Jy9EE.

youtu.be/Ru0QWINaVjY.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Musketeers.

amazon.com/-/es/gp/video/detail/B08CGGR5KB/ref=atv_dp_season_select_s1?language=es.

youtube.com/watch?v=SZTpX-W2miU.

musketeers.fandom.com/wiki/Comte_de_Rochefort.

youtu.be/VZMt1FmksYs.

youtu.be/PDazHTo88wE.

musketeers.fandom.com/wiki/Milady_de_Winter?so=search.