Wednesday Review | Teen Ink

Wednesday Review

By Cindy26 BRONZE, Cannon Fall, Minnesota
Cindy26 BRONZE, Cannon Fall, Minnesota

I can bet that many people have never, and probably will never go on to solve a murder case 25 years ago about their parents. This is exactly what Wednesday goes to do in this show “Wednesday.” Wednesday is a perfect show for anyone who is into stuff like horror, disgust, and gore. I am not much of a scary movie and gore watcher but this TV show caught my attention within the first episode. So, I would say this show is for anyone who has the time to stop and watch it. As I said before, for people who like those kinds of stuff, this show is perfect for them and many viewers will finish begging for more. So, I wouldn’t want to spoil this incredible show for readers, even though it is very tempting. I will only talk about the characters and their roles in the show instead of the plot and of the neverending interesting peaks. The three main characters I have limited down to talk about in this review are Wednesday Addams, Tyler Galpin, and Gomez Addams.

Wednesday Addams is such an interesting character. Her role is played by Jenna Ortega who was 20 years old at the time. People might recognize her from many other shows, but the main one they might know her from is the show “Stuck In the Middle.” I grew up watching “Stuck In the Middle,” so it was really interesting and exciting to watch Jenna playing a totally different type of role. Wednesday Addams is a very bright character, not happy colorful bright, but bright as in very intelligent and clever. She shows no fear throughout the whole show even though many, many things happened to her that a lot of people would have been extremely traumatized by. I guess she has to be that way if she wants to solve a murder case 25 years ago involving her family. Wednesday’s social life is very low. She loves to be alone and have people hate and fear her. Although, there are few people who love her dearly even though of her dark personality. One boy who is very invested in Wednesday's life and tries everything to be friends with her is Tyler Galpin.

I believe Tyler Galpin is the most surprising character in this show. This character was played by Hunter Doohan, a 28-year-old. Many people recognize him from the famous show “The Highwayman” in 2019. I have never watched that show but from watching Wednesday, I might just have to take the time out of my day to check it out. Hunter Doohan does such an awesome job at acting in every scene he is in. His emotion and facial expressions are on point and just overall fit the role of Tyler Galpin so well. Tyler Galpin, in over half the show, is displayed as an average teenage boy. He goes to school, works, and doesn’t have supernatural powers. He has a very complicated home life. Mostly because of his single parent who rarely pays attention to him because of his work.  Tyler Galpin showed a lot of kindness to Wednesday and almost gained her trust. I say almost, because people rarely gain her trust, especially because she only trusts a hand called Thing. As I mentioned before his dad is very busy and doesn’t have time to give Tyler his attention mostly because he works as a sheriff. He is the main person in the show who tries to end the investigation of the murder 25 years ago by arresting Gomez Addams.

Gomez Addams is the father of the famous Wednesday Addams. Luiz Guzman is the person behind all the makeup of Gomez Addam. Some people might recognize him from a show he starred in called “Luiz.” Gomez Addams looks dark-hearted or some people might say heartless, but that is not the whole case. When I watched more and more episodes on Wednesday I started to see their true personality of Gomez. First, something I noticed immediately was how much he cared about what happens to Wednesday when she has to go to a different school. So he snuck in the hand, to watch over her and report back if anything happens to her. He then also cared very much about how his wife, Morticia, felt and what happens to her. Morticia is Gomez’s wife, and in my opinion, is way darker than Gomez. Not counting the fact that he looks like he can hurt or even kill someone any second, he is a very sweet person. He takes care of his wife before taking care of himself. As I stated in the last paragraph, he was the main target of Tyler’s dad, the sheriff, for the murder committed 25 years ago. So that just makes it more complicated for people to see him as a good person.

The three characters I have chosen to talk about in this review were Wednesday Addam, Tyler Galpin, and Gomez Addam. These are the three characters I believe are the most important and of course most interesting in this show. They caught my attention in different ways. For example, Wednesday, going through life and death stages to find an answer to what happened the night of the murder. I find that very interesting and encouraging as a woman. I really hope people take a moment to watch this show, so I can share this amazingness with everyone.

The first ever episode of Wednesday was on November 23, 2022.