The Big Bang Theory | Teen Ink

The Big Bang Theory

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

“The Big Bang Theory”, it sounds hard. Luckily the television show is a lot funnier than the theory. It is on CBS, Mondays at 8:30. The show is about 4 geniuses that are friends, 2 that live together next door to a very attractive blonde, in Pasadena, California. “The Big Bang Theory” is worth watching because it has odd, original plots, interesting and funny characters, and hilarious writing.

The plots of “The Big Bang Theory” aren’t at all normal. However, this is a good thing. One such example is when one of the four friends gets a girlfriend, the other 3 cannot figure out a way to do their weekly activities with only 3 people, like trying to go out to eat. Another example is one of them is going to be in a set marriage, but can only talk to girls while drunk.

There are many characters in “The Big Bang Theory”, such as Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Howard (Simon Helberg), but two people stand out, Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco). Sheldon is a lazy, smart aleck with OCD, and if things aren’t exactly right, he doesn’t like it. He also doesn’t care too much about other people, and tends to cause a lot of the problems. Penny is the blonde that lives across the hall. She isn’t the brightest, and usually doesn’t understand what the geniuses are talking about. This often leads to her being the funniest character though.

The writing in “The Big Bang Theory” is superb. What is nice is that even though it is about geniuses, you don’t have to be super smart to the jokes. All of them have some sort of explanation, or the joke is that no one has any idea what they are talking about. All of the other laughs come from the conversations and the witty remarks they make at each other.

Each episode contains a general theme, like “respecting others”. Or “things aren’t always as they appear”. Still, “The Big Bang Theory” is worth watching because of its interesting plots, the geeky, genius characters, and the superb writing. I strongly recommend that CBS keeps it where it is, and to start making a season two.