Devious Maids | Teen Ink

Devious Maids MAG

July 17, 2014
By Lp0214 SILVER, Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Lp0214 SILVER, Longmeadow, Massachusetts
6 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.”
― Dorothy Parker


Whenever I confess my love for “Devious Maids” to others, the reaction is always the same: a look of disgust. How can you like such a tawdry show? Well, first of all, “Devious Maids” is nothing compared to “Jersey Shore” or “The Real Housewives of Atlanta.” But, that aside, there is one reason I cannot stop watching Lifetime’s new drama: Evelyn Powell.

Unlike so many of today’s television characters, Evelyn (played by Rebecca Wisocky) transcends the stereotypical one-dimensional personality. She is truly a work of art. With each episode, the viewer peels away another layer of her mask. With each fact we learn about her, Evelyn grows increasingly beautiful, increasingly human – something only the most gifted screenwriters can accomplish. Evelyn is like a modern-day Lady Macbeth or Blanche DuBois; just when we think we know everything about her, we discover something new.

At the start of the series, Evelyn appears callous, to say the least. However, as the show continues, we realize that more than anything, she is simply a hurting, grieving soul; her supposed heartlessness stems not from a place of anger or cruelty, but from genuine fear and unhappiness. The viewer learns that Evelyn’s icy demeanor is her armor, the only means she has of protecting herself from further emotional damage. Mrs. Powell is not a monster; she is just a wounded soul.

Later on in the series, we discover what Evelyn has experienced. After fully realizing her past, the viewer cannot help but feel guilty for having misjudged her. We want Evelyn to be happy. We want her to move forward.

Is it possible? Unfortunately, we must wait until the third season to find out.