Eureka | Teen Ink

Eureka MAG

September 17, 2014
By alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
35 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf


While this review may be a few years late, considering “Eureka” ended in 2012, this review (and expression of love for the show) needs to happen. “Eureka” is about Jack Carter (Colin Ferguson), who gets stranded in the small town of Eureka, Oregon, with his daughter, Zoe (Jordan Hinson), only to become the sheriff and protector of the world’s greatest minds. Jack and the townspeople work together through unstable wormholes, rips in the space-time continuum, and “body-swapping” – yet come out of every disaster happier than ever.

The characters are well written, and the acting is even better, whether we’re watching the everyman Jack in a town of super-geniuses, Jo Lupo (Erica Cerra) and her gun-toting personality that hides her girlish side, or Henry Deacon (Joe Morton), a thoughtful and respected physicist.

The visual effects for the series are surprisingly high-end, especially for the Syfy channel, which in the end was its downfall (it was canceled due to its high budget).

The musical score from Bear McCreary drives the emotion and action with flair and finesse, with the help of Mark Mothersbaugh’s upbeat theme. The direction is superb, always finding balance between the quirks and the seriousness of the situation.

There isn’t a single bad thing I can say about “Eureka,” other than that it should have gone on for another season. It’s not that it felt rushed (the ending was spectacular), but it was simply too soon to see the crew go.

If you have yet to visit “Eureka,” I suggest you find it on Netflix, rent it, or buy the entire series like I did. (This especially goes out to fans of the canceled series “Firefly”; “Eureka” has a similar feel.) No movie or TV collection is complete without this captivating, offbeat masterpiece from Syfy.