The 100 | Teen Ink

The 100

October 19, 2015
By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
27 articles 31 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau


No One has stepped on Earth for 97 years.

Until now, Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war. Humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface.  Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet.

Going in to the show there were low expectations, because it was produced by the CW Network. However, it blew me away.  In terms of acting, visuals and willingness to divert from the source material, the show is superior to almost every other teen drama currently airing.

Looking at other shows that air the CW Network like The Vampire Diaries, the viewer will not be taken out of the story, because of bad acting. Halfway through the first season, the viewer is drawn in to the show and it doesn’t let up until the season is over.

Ignoring the insanely beautiful cast trope, the backgrounds and setting are eye-catchingly beautiful. The scenes that showcase space are standouts.

While the book had four equal points of view, the show mainly revolves around the character, Clarke. But it does show other story points based upon story location. The show is mostly consistent in switch POVs, but occasionally jumps along to a different character with reason.

In the end, The 100 is a space opera reminiscent of Battle Star Galactica aimed for a mature young adult audience. Even if it was not such a quality show, it would still be worth viewing. It has fun and original story.

Season 3 starts airing in early 2016.