The Review of the Borderlands | Teen Ink

The Review of the Borderlands MAG

November 21, 2019
By DazWeirdboy63 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
DazWeirdboy63 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are both positives and negatives to "Borderlands 3" (Xbox One), but many more positives than negatives. In this review, there may be minor spoilers for some parts of the game, but none will take away from the surprise or any of the major events.

First, I’ll discuss the small negatives. One of the problems that occurred was a frame drop or lag. These frame drops were not constant, but they did happen from time to time which may discourage some players – but, it can be overlooked by the overall experience of the game. The issue with the lag, however, is that it seems to show up more when playing with another person using a split-screen co-op. This problem does not take away from the overall experience, but it can cause some issues for some players. Another problem deals with the loot drops from the bosses in the game, which can be quite underwhelming. The only other complaint is that some of the deaths that occur in the game seem to have no real purpose behind them, althought they add a sense of distaste and the urge for revenge within the player.

All things considered, these are relatively small issues.

This game has plenty of positives, starting with the actual gameplay. The gameplay in "Borderlands 3" is enjoyable and provides a large variety of play styles. It has plenty of action to fill the player to the brim, but it also has great parts of calmand sadness. This game is great at inducing laughter, suspense, sadness, and anger – but in a good way.

The graphics are phenomenal and have greatly improved compared to the last game. The lighting, mixed with darkness, is outstanding and can always catch the eye of the player. The textures are pleasing to the eye and improve upon the visual quality of the game.

Similar to the graphics, the sound design is also phenomenal. The sounds of the guns have a much more powerful punch behind them, giving them a very realistic feeling of a gun being held in the player’s hands. The sound of the environment and vehicles are also mind blowing. The vehicles have a mean and hardy sound and the atmosphere created by the environmental sound is astonishing.

The game's atmosphere creates an emotional experience for the player. The length of the game is long enough to create a purposeful experience without dragging out the story too long, and the playability is great, offering at minimum four different experiences based solely on the four main characters. On top of that, each playable character has three main play styles that offer at least 12 different playable experiences.

And finally, after playing the game, the player begins to have the ability to experiment with the controls and movements, which can also add some different techniques for fighting enemies.

If you enjoy a fun, action-packed game full of twists and turns, "Borderlands 3" is for you. The setbacks can be overlooked due to the sheer enjoyment one has when playing the game.


The author's comments:

This is just an overall review of the entire game looking at the positives and the negatives.