World of Goo | Teen Ink

World of Goo MAG

May 21, 2009
By Tony Hammons BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Tony Hammons BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“World of Goo” is one of the most unique and innovative video games I have played in a long time. In an industry that focuses on high-definition graphics and “mature” storylines, this game keeps it simple and offers an experience like few others.

“World of Goo” was created by two former Electronic Arts employees who funded the project themselves. It's a physics-based puzzle game that has a simple premise but can be very challenging.

“Goo balls” are circular creatures with eyes. There are many kinds – some are one-use, some can be used multiple times, some can be destroyed, and some can fly. The goal of the game is simple: create a structure that can overcome the obstacles in the level and get to the exit, which is a pipe. The first few levels are relatively easy, but soon the game will start making you think outside the box. The different species of goo balls bring a lot of variety and change the game quite a bit.

The game's graphics are basic yet effective, and present a colorful world filled with nooks and crannies. Many will be happy to hear that the PC version will run on any computer. The soundtrack is amazing; each level has its own theme that fits perfectly. There is no serious storyline, but since this is a puzzle game, that's fine.

One neat feature is the OCD mode where the player must complete each level using as few goo balls as possible. The game's length depends on player's puzzle-solving and creative-thinking abilities, but the 48 levels will probably take an average player four to five hours to beat.

Once you beat the game you can go for the OCD mode or play the “World of Goo ­Corporation.” Here, players use their leftover balls to build the tallest tower. This mode is ­online-enabled, so players can see how high others have built through clouds marked with players' names. “World of Goo” is a must-buy for anyone looking for something new and innovative.