“Stray” | Teen Ink

“Stray”

February 15, 2023
By madi07 GOLD, Newark, Delaware
madi07 GOLD, Newark, Delaware
18 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the end, we'll all become stories." - Margaret Atwood


When an orange tabby cat fell into the lifeless walls encasing a perishing city, it simultaneously slipped into the world of stardom and spotlight. Developed by BlueTwelve Studio, “Stray” (2022) serves as a visibly enticing keyhole into a raw, devastating alternate reality, told through entrancing graphic visuals and environmental storytelling. Navigating through this narrative as a cat, “Stray” brings people back to the roots from which they were formed: love. 

There isn’t a more remarkable sensation than a game taking your breath away within the first few seconds; this was my experience with my initial playthrough. To my delight, it welcomed me into a world where I could meow as a cat to my desire with the single press of a button, and through the vibrations of a controller, I experienced the keen feline reflexes that one can only dream of having. The effort that developers committed to mimicking the authentic motion and prances of a real-life cat is unmistakable. By the time the credits had rolled with each developer’s name, I had already possessed an immense amount of appreciation.

Through the eyes of this cat, players are offered the opportunity to navigate meticulously through the derelict, cyberpunk setting as they desire. Even so, what seized the heart of my thoughts was the distinct attention to detail that consistently flowed throughout the setting. From left-behind tracks of kitty paw prints after walking through wet paint, to decorative, collectible pins to fashionably style on the cat’s harness, “Stray” crafted a wondrous, practically-4D experience. I found myself to be immersed in a digital landscape, one in which I was a cat exploring the crammed alleyways and jumping atop AC vents in a walled city to find my way home. By creating painstaking visuals, “Stray” adds deeper levels to the art of environmental storytelling to draw players into the riveting game. 

Yet what makes “Stray” such an unforgettable game is the dark, haunting story. Sheathed behind the visuals and adorable cat-like movements, the game unravels the twisted narrative in which humanity is extinct, and all that remains is its creations; robots and flesh-eating bacteria. Despite the grim story, “Stray” washed away those somber emotions, and replaced them with a soft stream of fondness, particularly for the characters I became acquainted with. In such a hopeless environment, the characters are lively and intriguing, with hobbies like knitting electric cable sweaters or playing mahjong. These robots inhabiting the fortified city effortlessly became my friends, aiding my journey as a cat no matter the expense. “Stray’s” story is one that left me with an endless train of lingering thoughts and memories to relive as I progress through my own journey in life.