Elden Ring; A Gamer’s Ultimate Nightmare | Teen Ink

Elden Ring; A Gamer’s Ultimate Nightmare

March 18, 2024
By dmorales1 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
dmorales1 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some people's fantasy universe might be a meadow of bright colored flowers, castles with flourished towns, and dragons that protect the kingdom.  FromSoftware’s “Elden Ring” ; released in Feb 25, 2022, has all of that but in a dismayed and ominous state, that sets the scene for gamers who want a challenge. 


Elden Ring has 10 different regions waiting to be explored. All these areas aren’t what you expect out of a fantasy but, still provide the enjoyment like one. The cities are broken down and covered with rubble and enemies, the deserts covered in bones and burnt trees with no soul, there are ravaged gravesites, and the greenery appear in an eerie form as well.  “Elden Ring” also gives you a spiritual steed named “Torrent” that’ll allow you to traverse the world much faster. The greatest perks of having Torrent is that you can battle enemies while riding him and even double jump.

 

There are 10 classes (characters) you can choose from that change how you will play the beginning of the game entirely. Each class has different starting weapons, armor, and attributes. Attributes are the main reason why it is important to choose a starting class. There are 8 different attributes which decide your playstyle and basic necessities during the game; whether you can use magic, weapons, how much health or stamina you have and other needs.


The enemies in this game have no ending to variety. There are over a hundred different enemies and keeps the game feeling like a different encounter every time. They also have their own different attacks and reactions to your attacks or movements. 


The challenging bosses gives the unique character from most FromSoftware games, which also applies to “Elden Ring”. Even after you completed the game for the first time and you want more; you can play the games “hard modes” that are called “New Game +”. “New Game+” can go all the way to “New Game +7”. These “New Game’s” make the game much more difficult for those hardcore gamers who want an extreme challenge to the Game of The Year 2022 winner “Elden Ring”.


“Elden Ring'' made by FromSoftware is everything that a hardcore gamer would want in their epitome of a treacherous fantasy. The beautiful landscapes, unique spells, wide selection of weapons and armor, combat that doesn’t hold your hand, and the bosses that compliment the combats difficulty make it excruciatingly challenging for the gamer;  are all the factors that truly make this game what it is, a pleasant treat for hardcore gamers.


The author's comments:

I chose to write about the videogame “Elden Ring” because it was one of my favorite games to play. I had not played any of FromSoftware's games until “Elden Ring” because I felt discouraged from the difficulty of them. Their titles like “Dark Souls” and “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice” had been known as some of the hardest games. “Elden Ring” on the other hand was leaned toward a much more welcoming game yet still had difficulty. I stepped up to try it and turned out to be one of my favorite games that I played. It was one of my most challenging games that I’ve played; however, I enjoyed every second of it. The amount of content that the game packed was much more than I expected. The combat and enemies dynamic was perfectly matched. Elden Ring was just one of the best games I've played.