Drexel University Engineering Summer Mentorship Program | Teen Ink

Drexel University Engineering Summer Mentorship Program

For all prospective engineers, the 3 week Summer Mentorship Program at Drexel University's College of Engineering is a perfect match. Students have the opportunity to live in a beautiful dorm at Caneris Hall right across the street from Drexel's Engineering buildings. (LeBow, Bossone, Nesbitt Hall)
In the day time from 9-5PM, students work in an assigned laboratory in a specific area of engineering. (Biomedical, Material Science, Environmental, Mechanical etc.) They work by themselves or in groups of 2-3 on a research project with a graduate assistant and professor. At the end of the program, students will have already created a poster that will be presented on the last day. Students may use this poster and project for their senior theses, science fair projects, etc. Also, at lunch time students have the opportunity to listen to presentations by Professors in every discipline of engineering so they can plan for their future career path.
However, at night and on weekends there is nonstop fun and entertainment. Everyday is full of fun activities such as a Phillies game, Atlantic City, Dorney Park, Hard Rock Cafe, bowling at Strikes, Duck tour/liberty bell, and Pool Parties just to name a few. Meals are provided everyday except for a few that can be bought with a Drexel ID/Meal Card. Meal cards are issued the first few days and can be used to buy from many places such as Drexel Pizza, Domino's, CVS, Chili's, 7-Eleven, etc. This same wonderful card can be used for admission into the Dak (Athletic Center) and the school libraries.
Best of all, the friendships made are for keeps. 30 intelligent, witty, and diverse students truly bond after spending many nights and weekends together. There are also many amazing counselors who live with the students and are full of fun and games.
Finally, there is a lot of free time to explore the busy and fabulous city of Philadelphia on free nights once a week. There are wide boundaries to explore including most of the places available on the UPenn campus.
In general, if you like science and having fun this program is PERFECT for you! There is no application fee and also no need to worry about cost as the program costs only $300 which covers most meals, the $150 meal card, housing, activities -- pretty much everything. The program is well worth the money and the experience unforgettable.