Community Service Worldwide: VISIONS Service Adventures in Guadeloupe | Teen Ink

Community Service Worldwide: VISIONS Service Adventures in Guadeloupe MAG

The month I spent in an overseas region of France, called Guadeloupe, was arguably one of the greatest months of my life. The 27-day VISIONS Service Adventures program provided an incredible amount of insight and fulfillment, particularly as we worked with the community of Capesterre on the smaller island of Marie-Galante.

This service adventure sent me outside of my comfort zone, allowing me to truly face (and overcome) the challenges that life often set before me. For example, I was afraid of speaking French at first, but the environment created by both my peers and by the VISIONS staff allowed me to become much more proficient in the language and have fun with it. Spending a month with 23 other kids who I had never met before was also incredible. I felt like I was able to get to know everyone on a very personal level, as everyone had the freedom to be themselves, without the influence of friends back home or the pressure to be someone they’re not.

For me, half of the trip was focused on being able to connect with and adequately serve the community on the island, while the other half of the trip was getting to know so many different and unique people in such an equally unique place.
Beyond that, the six VISIONS staff members respectfully maintained a position of authority while simultaneously providing us with the opportunity to be friendly and amicable – each and every staff member went above and beyond the “call of duty” for this type of trip and worked their hardest to make it a growing experience for all of us.

I’ve committed myself to returning to Guadeloupe some day, but I know for a fact it won’t be the same without the incredible people and the amazing program of my first time. I’m happy to vouch for this great program! 

This trip changed the way I think and the way I interact with others. Let it inspire you too!

i love this !