EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University | Teen Ink

EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University

EPGY Summer Institutes is an academic program run by one of the top ivy league schools, Stanford University. There is a middle school program for 7th and 8th graders and a high school program for 9th and up. Both are residential. I highly recommend this academic program. There are several courses you can choose from whether it's writing, computer programming, mathematics, or even law! For middle schoolers, the camp is 2 weeks long, meanwhile, the high school program is 3 weeks.

Students that attend EPGY Summer Institutes get their full fill of education. You take your classes in the morning after breakfast and have teachers teach you all you have to know. I have gone to this program for two years in a row and I thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The two classes I took were Creative Writing and Expository Writing. In Creative Writing, you take time to write poems and short stories. You read your peer's work and give constructive criticism. You also get to read and analyze short stories written by authors such as Ray Bradbury. When taking Expository Writing, you can practice writing memiors, persuasive essays, reviews, and more! Besides just classes, you may have homework that is done during study hall depending on the course you take.

"All work and no play???" You might ask. Not only are the EPGY Summer Institute camps academic, they're also fun! Students can sign up for sports teams and play basketball. You choose what activities you want to do the next day. Activities include yoga, swimming, jewelry making, flag football, shopping, etc. There are also planned activities. For example, certain sessions take a field trip to the beach. All the sessions host a dance and a talent show. Your dorm room most likely consists of 2 roommates. The counselors are also helpful and friendly.

EPGY Summer Institutes are for gifted teens. Therefore, you do have to fill an application early. You also need to show your standardized test scores and report cards unless you are an international student. There are fees when you apply, and I'll admit that this summer camp does take up a few thousand dollars. For people with financial issues, EPGY is willing to give scholarships. If you do decide to go, you will meet many people who share similar interests from all over the world! Now, I have friends from England, Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, and even Japan! The EPGY Summer Institutes is a must-go. If you don't, you're missing out on loads of fun.

If you'd like more reviews by me go to www.sweetxcandyxashy.blogspot.com/

Session 2 for me

Linda said...

oh cool meera! are you going for session 1 or session 2/2E? Unfortunately, i will be doing topics in psychology. So we wont be roomies cus they group students by their subject. Expository writing might be interesting, othersideoftheworld. Too bad writing really isnt a favorite of mine (which is why im going into medicine! :] ). Are you going for session 1 or session 2/2E, othersideoftheworld?

Shangnon F., I hope to c u there too! im even more excited now! Which session are you going for, session 1 or session 2/2E?

This is gonna be great!! 

on Jun. 26 2010 at 12:11 am
Heavy subjects you are enrolling into... I'm taking the easy way out with expository writing.

on Jun. 26 2010 at 12:07 am
Expository Writing? Reasearch paper, formal critical essays etc. I am going for expository writing too this year. :)

on Jun. 18 2010 at 1:47 am
Shannon E BRONZE, Redwood City, California
I'm going there this summer! Can you tell me more about what the expository writing classes are like?

Meera said...
I'm going there this summer too! I am SO excited. I'm doing Bioscience and Biotech. You? 

Linda said...

However, i agree with ojmcdaniel. Stanford IS NOT an ivy league school. All ivy league schools are on the east coast. Ivy League schools are the first founded universities of the US, meaning they were the first to be created (which is why they are on the east coast..because the country first started with the 13 colonies). Ivy League schools include Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Yale, U of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, Brown, and Columbia. Also, Johns Hopkins U CTY program is not necessarily "better", but it is another excellent program. As a matter of fact, not only am I doing the EPGY at Stanford, but I am soing the online CTY Program at Johns Hopkins University.

P.S. Johns Hopkins U is an exellent university. My brother and sister-in-law graduated from there with a bachelor's in public health/natural sciences and a master's in public health. I live 30 minutes from there and I'd have to say it is a wonderful and beautiful environment and even I, myself, want to go to Johns Hopkins U for biomed sciences or molecular biology (Its actually my 1st choice. I'd pick it over Harvard anyday). My 3 choices are actually Johns Hopkins, U of Penn, and Rice U (just to put it out there. Feel free to comment on them!)

Linda said...
I got accepted into this program for summer 2010!! im soo excited. i cant wait. i know that this program is excellent and can provide me with insight to other talented students besides just myself and students in my school and I will realize how hard i must push myself to be on top. Once again, I CANT WAIT! : )

globalgirl said...
An excellent, excellent program! Fellow students who had attended other equivalent programs said EPGY was hands down better! Regardless, the experience was life changing. Strongly recommended!

While this may be a fabulous program...Stanford is NOT an Ivy League school. All Ivy League schools are on the East Coast. Don't just be dazzled by a big name...let's look at the content of the program and compare it to other, possibly better, programs such as CTY at Johns Hopkins.