A Rude Awakening | Teen Ink

A Rude Awakening

By kewillia BRONZE, Foothill Ranch, California
kewillia BRONZE, Foothill Ranch, California

It was supposed to be fun. A celebration. It had been in past years. It was the end of the summer banquet for the children's camp I worked at. Last years banquet was so much fun. We danced, we ate, and I even had my first almost boyfriend. I expected this year to be even better. I got to the banquet. I should have gotten a clue when everyone was acting crazy and stumbling around' But I was stupid and kept going on with the night. The beginning started out pretty fun. There was cool music and great food. But the friends I was hoping to hang out with didn't care about me because they all had other friends they preferred to hang out with. But I still tried to be a part of the group. The night progressed and it seemed that people were getting a little out of control. I thought this was normal, since it was the end of camp, and everyone's excited, but then I looked closer. I started to realize that what was in their cups wasn't just soda, and I could smell the reeking stench of alcohol in the air. It was right in front of my face, but I didn't want to believe it. I went outside and sat under a tree to cool off a bit. I wondered how, how could these people, who I looked up to, go off and do something like that? Camp is supposed to be a safe environment where parents can drop off their kids and not have to worry. But if I was a parent and I saw those people acting the way they did that night, I would never take my kids back. They were my mentors and they had my utmost trust, but the second they took that drink, all trust was lost. Getting yourself wasted, just to have a good time, is outrageous. You can have a good time without being stumbling drunk. Every good thought, every happy memory of them came crashing down like an old cabinet, falling to the ground. The camp directors said that they were aware of this, but they didn't do anything about it. I will never forget how those people came stumbling up to the stage to get their final paycheck. I won't be able to look at those people the same way again.

Even though this event seemed horrible at the time, looking back on it, it was a good thing. It opened my eyes to the hurt in the world. This story was also performed as a Monologue in one of my school plays.