The Mystery of the Haunted House | Teen Ink

The Mystery of the Haunted House

By Fatima-words-of-wisdom, Faisalabad, Other
Fatima-words-of-wisdom, Faisalabad, Other

I really wanted to write something like this which inspires everyone to go beyond everything, at the same time reminds them that life is not as easy as they thought it would be but they should still keep pushing themselves. 

it is quite scary so watch out!

They told them the house was haunted. They told them the house was strange. Five families had moved in, and never made it out alive. However, they still wanted to challenge themselves beyond anything and everything, thinking that all these were just some hypotheses. They had already survived two days in that distressing house in Transylvania, later causing them to question their decision. “Their second night in their new home was about to come, what could possibly happen?” They thought.

They soon went outside to have dinner and calm themselves after being horror struck in that creepy old house but little did they know that someone had been watching them the entire time. They might be waiting for them to leave so they could do something unexpected behind their backs……….

The huge tower stood tall in isolation, standing broken and crippled, and a forest of trees decaying slowly in the bleak distance as Joanne and Mark stepped out into the street. A blanket of fog of Transylvania covered their skin, filling their mouth with distaste. Joanne and Mark both were middle aged partners while Joanne was a gorgeous looking woman with a tall and straight posture but a dark complexion as well as curly and mousy brown hair who had a round, dimpled face with hazel, almond eyes and thin bowlike but chapped lips. On the other hand Mark was a short yet handsome and robust man with a fair complexion and strawberry blonde hair who had a tattoo of an owl on his left arm. He had a sharp jawline with angelic, blue, hooded eyes as well as having thin, elongated lips. It seemed like they had the most glamorous bond though Mark had an impulsive and determined personality while Joanne was completely different from him as she had a cowardly and hesitant personality. Despite that they were both very supportive towards each other. Cautiously, they made their way through the desolate street as the chilly wind howled past them.

“I’m scared… Can we go back home, please?” Joanne asked. 

“Well now we’re stuck out here, Aaaaaah,” screamed Joanne as a skeleton fell upon her.

They soon found a restaurant which itself was a terrifying one with no customers inside and just a creepy looking man with wrinkles on his face and blood dripping down his white shirt. They felt distressed and didn’t want to spend more time there than was absolutely necessary, so they quickly ate their sandwiches and ran back home.

“Oh my…..Look at this carpet of spiders Mark, there’s dozens of them in here. Oh no, there must be something upstairs as well, we must walk cautiously,” whispered Mark boldly.

They noticed drops of blood on the stairs while they proceeded towards their room. 

“OUCH, it hurts, leave us alone, PLEASE…..” cried Joanne as someone pulled her

hair. 

“What happened,” asked Mark.

“There was some…., some….someone me, I can’t live here anymore, I am out,” Joanne told Mark.

“No no noooo, you can’t leave, there’s just three more days now and then we’ll get $73, 000,”replied Mark. 

Their fight continued but Mark eventually convinced her to stay a little longer. Then they went to sleep after seeing no signs of the person who was inside earlier. Being relaxed and having such wonderful dreams was just for a while as they were disturbed by a screeching noise from under the bed. The noise started to grow louder every minute. They felt as if something was under the bed carving a whole in between to reach Joanne and Mark and stab them through their back and into their intestines. It started to get even darker as the lights started to twitch and the curtains moved to and fro while the cold breeze of wind brushed against their face. Fortunately, the partners had sensed what was going to happen and called the cops right away. The knife was just an inch away from Mark’s back and this might be his last day when the cops came and saved the day. Just as the cops took the girl out from under the bed shocked everyone completely. The warmth of her skin, long since drained, leaving only a sickly pale stain to decorate her rotting flesh. Spindly arms hung from her torso, long and bony, scarcely able to carry the weight of her skeletal hands. Her fingers were trembling claws with nails filed into sharp points. Everything about her was disturbingly disproportionate. Her misshapen head hung awkwardly on a narrow neck, threatening at any moment to snap off. Her scalp was a patchwork of bald scabs, speckled with long, tangles of hair falling over her face, untamed and wild, as well as secreting an oily film. Through sunken, black eyes, she stared into oblivion with a dead gaze. Slowly, her thin lips parted, and a vile grin crept across her decayed face, revealing a set of rotten fangs and black gums. The cops took her into the car and thanked the partners while apologizing as she was a criminal, the cops were looking for the past 37 years everywhere in Transylvania!

It gets challenging

They certainly left behind a strange looking book with a bloody red cover and the fingerprints of that girl thinking it belonged to us when it actually did not. It was too late for them to get to the cops because they had already left so they decided to investigate it themselves. After all it was just an ordinary red book and what could go wrong. The partners, Mark and Joanne, opened the book which appeared to be completely blank as they opened it as if it was a diary. Upon seeing that they put it aside and decided to make it a journal in order to pass their time in the haunted house. Time passes by and they can’t sleep all night thinking about that diary. 

“Why would anyone have a blank red diary, especially a criminal,” asked Mark?

“I feel a weird sensation in my body, Mark, this does not feel right,” Joanne replied.

“Yeah you’re right, it must be a trap or something, but the question is how can an ordinary, old, red book be misleading?” he thought

“Well you can’t really trust anything in here, guess we’ll find out tomorrow.” Joanne remarked

They were fast asleep, trying to solve the mystery in their dreams. The middle-aged partners were now half way through the challenge as only two days remained.

Next comes another horrifying day as they opened the diary and went into the depths of it trying to decode it while they had breakfast. As soon as they opened the book, Mark began to write in it, turning into a journal as planned while Joanne stood behind shivering with fear. He wrote his name on the blank page and watched the words vanish as if the book was sucking the words. After waiting for a while Mark took his quill and wrote down his name again. The words momentarily sank again without any trace until something happened. From the diary came out the words Mark had never written before.

Hello Mark, My name is Mycroft Tewkesbury, How did you come by my diary? These words also started to fade away but now Mark had started to scribble back. It is a long story but you can say I got it from the cops who found it with the girl who was a criminal. He waited eagerly for Tewkesbury’s reply as Joanne stared down onto the book.

Lucky that I recorded this path in some more lasting way than ink.

But I always knew that there would be those who would be more curious than anything for this unfortunately won’t read it.

What do you mean? Mark scrawled, blotting the page in excitement as Joanne stood by telling him to take every step carefully.

I mean that this diary holds the memories of some terrible things. Things which were covered up. Things which happened across the forest near the restaurant named “The Chuckey’s kitchen.”

Yeah, we live near it, Mark wrote quickly. We are currently living on that street and horrible stuff is happening. Can you tell us more about it?

WE!!! Who are you with?

Oh, it's just me and my partner, Joanne, Mark hurriedly wrote as his hand started to shake. 

Ok, What I am about to tell you is something very confidential and shouldn’t be told to anyone beside you two nor can you be seen while attempting to find it.

Mark and Joanne are now more curious than ever as he wrote. Ok, whatever we do, will not be seen or heard by anyone besides us. Attempting what though?

Have some patience Mark! Tewkesbury replied.

Mark became angrier and accidentally dropped his quill as Joanne tried to calm him down as this was something really complicated and absurd happening to them for the first time in their lives. 

You live in the haunted house and are there because you will be getting Seventy Three Thousand dollars by completing this challenge right?

But for this challenge you will have to give up on winning the prize of $73,000

Yeah, but how do you know? We can’t give up on that prize as only a day and a half is left after all! We can do your challenge after completing this and WHAT CHALLENGE!!! Mark wrote furiously.

I am someone who knows everything about the past, what’s happening in the present and what might happen in the future. Well if you can’t give up on your prize then you might not be told about it either. Came Tewkesbury’s reply.

No, No, Nooo…. Uhhhh… Ok.

We’ll do it. He wrote before the words vanished, while Joanne tried to convince him not to agree and just accept the $73,000 instead of being greedy and falling into the trap of ‘Mr. Mycroft Tewkesbury.’ Their hearts were hammering. Tewkesbury’s reply came quickly, his writing becoming untidier as though he was hurrying to tell all he knew.

Of course, I’ll tell you about it.

This challenge is a path that will lead you to pleasure and happiness as well as respect in your life. By accomplishing this challenge you would have the most famous, respectful and obviously the most successful life than anyone else on this planet. But for that you will have to overcome some difficulties. These things will lead you to the hidden treasure only the monks knew about, who were killed by a monster living there, which had the power to release itself and was imprisoned but it soon escaped.  I was the only one who survived because I was able to defeat the three eyed ferocious monster while finding the treasure but left it instead. I wanted someone else to be the one receiving that treasure as I felt like I did not deserve it. I guess you are the chosen one then. I believe that the children of that monster could come as they had already hatched at that time.

Can you tell us how to defeat that monster? Mark wrote as Joanne refilled the ink.

I can show you an easier way of getting to that treasure where there will be no obstacles, if you like, came Tewkesbury’s reply. You don’t have to take my word for it. I can take you inside my memory of the night I defeated him.

Hope you enjoy

Mark hesitated, his quill suspended over the diary. What did Tewkesbury mean? How could he be taken inside somebody else’s memory? He glanced nervously at Joanne as Joanne told him not to go the easier way. 

“There are no shortcuts in life, Mark.”

“But we get the treasure quickly and easily this way,” he replied.

“NO!” she shouted.

“We are not going the easier way, first you did not listen to me and brought me into this haunted house, now when there is only a day left, you are quitting and have put both of our lives in danger. It’s all a TRAP. If you want to do it the easier way then I am not going as Mycroft is simply going to kill us after taking us somewhere. How can you go into somebody’s past, Mark, tell me?” She explained angrily.

“OK,” he sighed.

“I guess I’ll listen to you this time as we are doing everything together,” he replied calmly. 

They decided not to reply back and started searching for the map that led to the treasure. Just as they were scrolling through those rough crispy pages, Mark had accidentally placed his finger on a drawing of an ugly looking skull which made Mycroft Tewkesbury come out of the book and in front of them. There they got to know his true identity, the one and only serial killer of Transylvania who had killed up to 999 women by sucking their blood and ripping their skins off just like a vampire. 

Therefore, he took a step forward and completed his century with Joanne but Mark couldn't believe his eyes and jumped right in front of her, sacrificing his own life just so she could live. 

Soon the cops had been called by a neighbor and they both were rushed to the hospital and the serial killer had been sentenced to death. There was blood everywhere and the taxi became flooded with blood as Mark was taking his last breaths. They lost the challenge as well as a beloved one and it was hard for Joanne to cope up with the difficulties. Eventually Joanne escaped and started an organization trying to soothe her from the loss and to raise awareness against these things. So don’t trust things you might not be familiar with and always be aware of your surroundings.