Components of a good essay introduction | Teen Ink

Components of a good essay introduction

By bernicestockstill BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
bernicestockstill BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.

The introduction to an essay is vitally important.

It’s the first part of your work that whoever is marking it will read - and the old theory about first impressions counting is certainly true.

It’s also the part of the essay where you set up what the rest of the essay is going to be about. The introduction is the place where you can explain exactly what you’re intending to write about, what you hope to prove and how you intend to argue your case.

So what should your introduction contain?
     An introduction to the essay topic. No more than a couple of sentences – just to summarise what the essay title indicates the essay will be about.
     A summary of the structure of your essay. Not too complicated, but you should highlight the main areas of study – the key topics for which you intend to include. You may wish to provide a summary of type of argument you are going to study – for example, that you are going to look at five main issues and analyse the relative advantages and disadvantages of each, in relation to the original essay topic.
      Reference to any particular aspects of the essay mentioned in the title. For example, if you had to study a certain topic “citing UK examples wherever possible”, you should emphasise this in your introduction so that the teacher or lecturer can see your intent to answer the question. After all, not answering the question which has been set is one of the main ways that people can lose marks writing their essays.
       A definition (optional). When <a href="writemyessay.services">writemyessay</a> on some topics, it can be useful to use the first few lines to define exactly what the key word or theme means. This can prove to the marker that you know what you are talking about, and will help to set up the rest of the essay.
OK, so you know what your essay introduction should include. But how should it actually be written?

Be brief.The introduction to an essay doesn’t need to be long – after all, it’s the main body of the text which counts; the introduction is just setting up what you’re going to include later in the essay.

Be concise. Say what you mean and don’t waffle. No lecturer will be fooled by a long and meandering introduction which doesn’t add any real content to the essay.
Provide some real information. Don’t just use the introduction to explain things which you’ll repeat later. Add some good, solid, relevant information at the start and it will put whoever is marking your essay in a good frame of mind. Above all, it will show them that you are clearly knowledgeable about the subject.

If you bear these suggestions in mind, your essay introduction will be informative, relevant and a suitable length, and it will provide the perfect introduction to the rest of your essay.