Express Your Individuality | Teen Ink

Express Your Individuality

By PAZS12 PLATINUM, Menomonie, Wisconsin
PAZS12 PLATINUM, Menomonie, Wisconsin

Be you, Be true!

We are all so different and unique it is a miracle we all get along as we do. May not be the best at times but hey, we are human right. Our individuality is what makes us so diverse.
I give props to the people who step outside of that “norm” of following what others want you to do.
So you wear clothes you shouldn’t or dress how others view as inappropriate, and the point is? The fact of the matter is it is your body; you are the ones wearing the clothes, so what if people don’t accept that, it is not the end of the world. Those who have a problem with how you look or dress probably do or did the same thing at a time in their life.
We spend too much time looking at others when we should really be looking at ourselves. I don’t care what you wear or how you look, I have my own thoughts like anyone else but at the end of the day I am not you.
Wear what makes you feel like you are at the top of the world. What makes you feel downright awesome and you don’t care what people say. Wear everything and anything and live!
You define yourself. Expressing yourself through clothing is only one way to let others know what kind of person you are.
We have so much to express that sometimes we tend to shock others. Some of us go outside the box, away from what society wants and it’s ok because we were taught to be ourselves and that it what we are doing. Not everyone is going to like it, approve and they will stereotype and judge and chastise you, but at the end of the day all that matters is what you think of yourself, no one else.
I was talking to a friend and he stated that “People frequently judge me for my long hair; they most likely think I can’t hold my own in a situation” and of course that is not true. We are so quick to pick at people and their differences from ourselves that it often leads to misinterpretations.
There are so many things to touch on, being smart, being rich, so what if you are, it happens. We were not meant to be the same for a reason. If we were all the same we would not be able to do as much as we can today, we would be, in fact, quite boring.
If we were all the same there would be no need to get to know one another!
Dress how you want, act how you want, be who you want just know that people are stereotyping, and judging you every step of the way. Don’t worry though; the same thing is being done to them.
Be who you want to be and hey, stamp on your forehead,
‘I am me, expressing my individuality’.

I started writing about stereotypes on campus and it opened up to a lot more. It is just my opinion and I do not expect anyone do take my advice or anything of the sort, just hoping to remind people we are who we are.

Beautiful!!