Intro to comp final (College entrance) | Teen Ink

Intro to comp final (College entrance)

November 1, 2019
By Dbushman21 BRONZE, Albany, Minnesota
Dbushman21 BRONZE, Albany, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What's the best piece of advice you have ever received?

School gets hard but school gets nearly impossible when you have no one to help you. School seems like such an annoyance when the only reason you go through it, is because people are telling you that it is what you are supposed to do. 

When I first started school I was excited to be the first one to the preschool classroom so I could play with the coolest toys. That room was always full of so much joy and surprise everytime we came in to learn. Over the years the classes got less and less interesting and I realized that it was because I was losing people. All around me my best friend seemed to be some else's best friend. Somehow though they all seemed so happy. But there I was with no one around me and it continued like this for a long time.

Junior high came and I started meeting new people and for a short while it felt really good that I finally had companionship again. People are always so full of new ideas and new points of view on life. Sometimes what they say becomes a record on replay. Except the song never gets old. The song can give you hope. Why should you keep trying even if you can’t see a reason. My answer is to look for that song, that sentence, that something that playbacks in your head everyday. Once you find that then you will be able to live, work hard, smile until your cheeks cramp.

The most important thing you can do with that song is try to help someone who hasn’t found theirs yet.

Towards the beginning of my ninth grade year I was really focused being around one person because they somehow made life seem so much fun. They could somehow make the stress melt away with the snap of a finger. That’s the problem though, there was always stress and I still felt like the whole world was trying to beat me with a bat. 

Tenth grade came and it was just getting worse. Something awful happened and I stayed away from that person for a while. I realized that they used a sirens song, it lured me in until I had  hit rock bottom. I was so caught up in what seemed like the answer to life that I didn’t see what was going to happen If I kept my course.

It is so hard to come back from a place when you don’t even remember who your friends are. I tryed to find anyone to be around, but not being with them. Just floating, drifting, never really finding that tune because the last one was so deceiving that I didn’t know what to listen for. I slowly worked my way out of that hole and found someone that was damaged like I was. Two people and the whole world was a concert, but we didn’t know what we were listening for. Being with that person had ups and downs but never a constant. Just when we thought we found the music we pulled back and put in the earplugs. 

It lasted a long time but I heard from my parents one day the best composition of music in my entire life. 

My dad said, “If you wake up every morning and you remember you are not alone and you are loved then the weight of everything will disappear.” 

That hit me like a train because the whole time I was looking for the perfect song to listen to and the moment I heard it my ears cleared and I was ready to jam to life.

That song hits me everyday, sometimes people try to silence it but it never gets quieter.

That is what I want to do and that’s what I can do. I want to find people their songs the things that make their day easier. I want to the reason that they have that song on repeat their whole life.


The author's comments:

This is a peice about the best advice I ever received and was for class but I feel passionatly about it.