Cure | Teen Ink

Cure

October 27, 2020
By ADDISONSALSKI BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
ADDISONSALSKI BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia. That’s not a term you hear everyday. In fact, since the age of 2 I have dealt with that rare heart condition that you have maybe only heard of now.


You could search up the condition on Google, where it will tell you that it is when the lower chambers of the heart, or the ventricles, beat quicker than most. You could search up the symptoms and the treatments, picturing a girl struggling to breathe while holding her chest or laying down in a hospital bed with doctors hovering over her, but that's not me. I haven’t ever felt pain or dizziness as Google predicts me to feel or received an implanted defibrillator. However, like all the other patients, I had lost my sense of hope. 


Having a heart condition has introduced me to a spiritual side of the world. A world where a higher power makes promises and cures even the most unexplainable conditions. For years I lived in this world, praying that someday this condition would be healed just as many other illnesses have been that I had heard of before. There was no promise given to me. No results that came in better than the month before. Is a world where miracles happen even real?


This was a question that was engraved in my mind as I went to my first year of summer camp with my church. One of the last nights of the trip, us middle school students flooded the front of the chapel, eager to end the night with a round of worship and praise. Our arms were reaching out, our hearts open and willing, and our voices, singing for all the world to hear. As the lights dimmed to a blue tint, the band started the interlude to “What a Beautiful Name”. I swayed to the tune, my full attention on the moment. Suddenly, my ears picked up a voice. It whispered “Cure”. Surely I must be imagining it. Cure, cure, cure. The voice, growing stronger and stronger. Without hesitation the tears start flooding. Could this be it?


“We don’t even know how to explain what happened,” my doctor responded, three weeks later. My recent test showed few irregular beats, and my doctor was unable to find the words to describe the sudden change of pace in my heartbeat. While I was not completely cured, and still find those traces of tachycardia even now, my race car heart is slowly finding its way to a normal drum. I continue to have fewer tests, fewer bad results, and fewer appointments. The world I live in is a world where a higher power makes promises and cures even my condition. Since then, I have learned to have trust in my faith, for even the craziest challenges can be solved. 


Often times, I think of that memory to remind me to believe in the impossible. When I struggle to understand a concept in class, I know there is a way to get through it. Even in life, when a challenge gets thrown my way, I now recognize that it is not worth it to give up on hoping. We can live for years, struggling to understand our pains and our obstacles, but one tiny miracle can change the course of our whole life. 


The author's comments:

I have always been inspired to write a piece about what I have gone through because I know that it can help others get through their obstacles. It is very important to never give up on your hopes and dreams. Nothing is impossible if you believe in it.