Four Paws, One Love | Teen Ink

Four Paws, One Love

November 4, 2021
By kayleighsell22 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
kayleighsell22 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Six ducks, five guinea pigs, four dogs, two cats, one bunny, and an infinite number of fish.


This list is not the contents of our local pet store but rather the animal inhabitants of my house throughout my life so far. I have always been a fan of animals. Our many pets have given me endless responsibilities over the years, as well as my best qualities. 


Luna: Dog. The youngest of the bunch at four years old. I was entering my teenage years when we adopted her from the shelter. At 13, training a dog on your own is a big responsibility that I took on with enthusiasm and pride. If you would have checked on me three months after her adoption day, you would have most likely found me in my backyard holding back tears and screaming while Luna bolted across the yard and through the woods. Luna is an enthusiastic soul, but through patience and perseverance I successfully trained her to sit, stay, speak, come when called (sometimes), and high five. She still tests my patience by chasing ducks miles up the river, but overall I notice these things don’t happen often and the training has stuck. This has helped me to obtain a high level of patience and persistence, which has enabled me to maintain better study skills in school and not give up when life gets hard.


Thor: Bunny. Seven years old. My parents will tell you Thor is a carpet- and electrical-cord-eating nightmare. I’ll tell you he’s the most loving bunny (with the exception of growling... yes, bunnies growl). Whenever I need emotional support, my four-legged friend is right there. He lies with me patiently as I stroke his luxurious black and grey speckled fur until I feel content and loved again. This is reflected in other aspects of my life because I am an extremely empathetic person. Many people find comfort in ranting to me about everything from personal issues to current world problems. Listening is a strong trait that I am proud of having.


Loki: Dog. Eleven years old. The most important. Loki came home one day from the shelter with my dad. Loki has taught me the most because we got him right when I was entering kindergarten. Every day since my first day of school, he has been right by my side at the end of my driveway waiting for the bus with me. When I would come home after a difficult day at school, it brought me joy knowing that he would be in the same spot waiting for me to get home. This exhibited and taught me true loyalty and trust. My own loyalties lie within the parts of my life that don’t change (and the Cleveland Browns). Ranging from having the same friends since middle school to using the same oil in my hair since I was old enough to care for myself, I have proven myself to be as loyal as Loki. 


Some will find it crazy that I learned these things through having animals. I don’t believe it to be so unusual. If I never had the opportunity to have these pets I would not have become the patient, empathetic, and trustworthy person I am today. People have commented on these traits in me, such as when I try to help others through difficult periods of their life or when I keep my friends’ deepest secrets, and I take pride in them when others notice. All thanks to my family with four legs, I have learned over the years to be a better person and grown my passion for wanting to help others like my pets helped me.


The author's comments:

This was my first draft of my college essay. I did not end up submitting it, but I still thought it was important to use it somehow. It is an important piece to my life, and I wanted to share it!