The Paparazzi | Teen Ink

The Paparazzi

In this day and age, we as a society are taught that taking photos of another person without their permission is wrong, although even right now celebrities are having photos taken of them without permission and are constantly bombarded by these photographers. Although this is wrong the paparazzi still manage to bypass these rules and there are still some positives to photography.

Although people look down upon it there are some ways the paparazzi are good. One example of this is the fact that it is a job. Although people may look down upon it paparazzi occupies thousands of jobs in this world and is a rather big part of today’s society. Being a paparazzi can also update fans on how their favourite celebrities are doing.

Being a paparazzi can also still be very negative in many ways. One way is the personal space intrusion. An example of this is Sean Penn and the paparazzi he allegedly found hiding in his room. This was whilst filming Shanghai moon in 1986 in the city of Macao. To deal with this Sean Penn then proceeded to dangle the paparazzi from the ninth floor of his hotel and quickly escaped authorities by fleeing the country. Although this may be an overreaction many would agree with his actions. (Kendall Fisher)

They can also cause other negative effects such as the death of Princess Diana. In Paris 31st of August 1997, Princess Diana succumbed to her injuries after being in a deadly car crash. It was caused by the paparazzi continuously taking photos of her driving away in a car, this led to the driver’s eyesight being impaired and led to them crashing and killing Princess Diana, as well as her driver and her husband who was announced dead on the scene. (Elena Nicolaou)

“Yes it annoys people but those annoyed help push the marketing”-Jessie Walls(former paparazzo). This although seems just like the average job pushes celebrities to their limits and anger many affecting their mental health. A great example of this would be Britney Spears. Under a ton of stress and not knowing what to do Britney had a public mental breakdown.  In the midst of her mental breakdown, Britney then attacked a paparazzi’s car which led to people having horrible opinions/views on her and almost ruined her life. (Kendall Fisher)

When interviewed in February of 2019  part of the general public voted on what they thought of the paparazzi. Of these votes, 44% of the voters thought they were intrusive and should get the new job, 34% said they had a job to do and the other 22% had no opinion. This means that most of these votes thought the paparazzi were way too intrusive meaning they agree with what most celebrities think. (statista.com)

In conclusion, the paparazzi can be a very intrusive people, although it is a job they need that provides them and their family with money. My call to action would be to have the paparazzi back off a bit, and when really needed ask for permission to have photos be taken of the celebrities. To spread this message this essay will be sent over to teens ink and shown on their website in case anyone would like to learn about it.

Works Cited

Nicolaou, Elena. “The Details of Princess Diana's Death-and the Royal Family's Response.” Oprah Daily, 2 Nov. 2021, oprahdaily.com/entertainment/tv-movies/a29874597/princess-diana-death/. 

“Run-Ins with the Paparazzi: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.” E! Online, 28 Nov. 2016, eonline.com/news/812158/run-ins-with-the-paparazzi-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly. 

Why Do Paparazzi Try to Take Pictures and Where Do They Go ... quora.com/Why-do-paparazzi-try-to-take-pictures-and-where-do-they-go-the-most. 

Navarro, José Gabriel. “Opinions on Paparazzi in the U.S. 2019.” Statista, 12 Aug. 2021, statista.com/statistics/970721/paparazzi-opinions/.

This piece although not personal frustrates me. In this day to day modern society, people such as celebrities are subjected to an unbelievable amount of random people they don't know taking pictures of them almost all the time. Also, the paparazzi have shown how intrusive they've been that death has even occurred, this was Diana Princess of Wales and due to the paparazzi taking photo's her driver's vision was impaired which led to the crashing of the vehicle and her death as well as the driver and her husband.