Writer's Block | Teen Ink

Writer's Block

By DillN GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
DillN GOLD, Centerville, Iowa

You have just got home from a long day at work or school. And you would like nothing more then to sit down and relax. But you cant, because you have a long essay to write on the labeling theory in psychology. So you sit down behind you computer and try to start writing. But there is a problem, You don’t know how to start!! You have a horrible cause of writers block and you cant seem to shake off this horrid infliction. So you think as hard as you can and try to come up with something, anything, to rid yourself of this disease, but you cant come up with anything. Hour past and you have been staring at a blank document, the blinking line cursing you, So you decide to write something just so the blank page will no longer be blank it so you write “The labeling theory”, But This doesn’t help and soon you become tired and after awhile you fall asleep on your key board. When you wake up you glance at the computer and notice. Hey! Half the page is filled up! The Essay Fairy most have visited me while I was napping and did my report for me!!! Excited you began to read it. “The labeling theory aaaaaaaaaaaffgjklgggsggggggkleiteiotjgjgjio” Dang, you are still were you were when you fell asleep and the writers block devil still has you in his grasp.

Many people have been in this situation, it Is not uncommon. So how to you rid your self of it? Well there are a few steps you can take. One of the steps is by choosing a topic that you are interested in to write about. If you are excited about it you are more likely to avoid writers block if that is not possible choose a new idea or a fresh topic to write about.

In some cases that is not possible because you are told what to write about and sadly in some cases the topic your brutally forced to write about is less then interesting. So how do I get ride of writers block then(?) you may ask. Well there is a solution to that problem to. Every writer has a inner critic that craves perfection. The idea is to turn him or her off. Just write something ,anything, on the paper even if it doesn’t make since. It can be words that rhythm a shopping list. A little story that has nothing to do with anything, just write! That way your creative juices will be flowing and you can start writing.

OK so you tried my previous solutions and now you just have a paper with random words and sentences stung together about I flying sausage and his flying monkey dog pig and the worst part is you still have the block and the blinking pointer is taunting your blinking ever second telling you that “you are running out of time”! Well there is yet another solution. Take a nap if you have time, even watch TV, do choirs, anything to get you mind of of the paper and relax. You can even read a book; that will even inspire you by seeing the work of your favorite author. If your mind is calm and relaxed you have a second chance, a fresh start, to start your paper.

After reading this you now have the tools to kill the monster know as writer block and silence the curtsied blinking line on the blank paper.