What my friends mean to me | Teen Ink

What my friends mean to me

December 18, 2007
By Anonymous

Over the years I have gone through many changes. Some of those changes consist of physical (such as my height and appearance) and even personality changes. I have noticed that over the years I have become more outgoing and confident in myself, as well as secure in my skin. I have grown to like myself more and accept who I am, knowing that there is nobody else in the world like me. Seeing different qualities in people has helped to shape my personality in the sense that I am able to view qualities that I both like as well as dislike. Growing up is part of life, as well as the challenges that come along with it. Even though the struggles are hard, in the long run they make you stronger and a better person. My family is very important to me, especially when I need comforting, but friends are the ones you spend most of your time with growing up, and they are the ones who see you go through hard times and are always there for you. Boyfriends will come and go, but it is your girlfriends whom you share laughter, memories and secrets that will be treasured in your heart for the rest of your life. Therefore, my friends are very special to me and have a huge influence on who I am now.


One thing that I love and always will love about friends is the highhearted spirit and jokingness that comes along with it. Having a true friend means that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you will be able to always have fun ! For example, I share some of the funniest moments of my life with Anna Katherine, one of my best friends. We are able to laugh and have fun anywhere and everywhere we go together. She brings me so much joy in the sense that when I am with her, I know that I will have a tremendous time filled with much humor. Friends are also great for cheering you up when you are feeling blue. One example of that is Jake Kaple. He is always hilarious no matter what , and we are immediately immersed with laughter. Though Jake and I are not very close when it comes to our personal lives and situations, we always seem to have fun-filled joking times that can brighten my day no matter what. These are some of the uplifting qualities in which my friends have a major effect on me.


Although fun and laughter are great, there will come a point in time when you are desperately longing for advice. These tend to be the times when you turn to your most trusted, longest friends. I have had days when I have gone through situations when I just do not want to go to my parents. Some examples of these are boy problems, as well as girl drama. Since my friends can first-handedly relate to me, they come into excellent use. One of my other best friends, Rose Green, always has the best advice to give me and seems to know what is right. Another quality I love about her is that no matter, what she is always encouraging and never brings me down. I have seen girls in situations where they are afraid to tell the other one the truth, or simply that they are wrong. Rose is not afraid to say, « Laura you messed up, and I want to help you fix it ». From these moments arose a strong friendship has developed that will last a lifetime ! Though Rose and I do go through times in which we vary in closeness, no matter what we will always have a solid firm friendship providing support systems for each other. I am so grateful for her, along with all of the memories we have shared. She is definately a friend worth turning to, and a tremendous example of how to be a true friend.


So many girls today in society will sacrifice anything, even their reputation just to « fit in ». Yet what exactly does it mean to « fit in » ? Some might view it as hanging out with the « cool clique », even if you do things that you would have never dreamed of doing. Others might view it as being up-to-date on fashion trends, or liking popular music of the time. Though these ideas of « fitting in » might seem correct to some girls, to me those words have a definition that is able to vary from person to person. Part of having a true friend is being able to act yourself around them. Changing your personality for people will get you nowhere but insecure and confused. Who wants to put on an act for society ? I believe the answer to that is nobody ! Being myself is so important to me, that if I feel like I have to change who I am just to get somebody’s approval means that they are not even worth my time. I am so blessed to have the kind of friends where I am able to just be the crazy person I am, than rather being fake and unhappy. When it comes to being in a clique or being yourself, I would pick being yourself any day of the week. Eleanor Stone, probably my oldest friend has seen me grow up and evolve over the course of my lifetime. One reason why we get along so well is because we are able to just be ourselves and not worry about pleasing each other. This is the basic building block to having true friends…if you can’t be yourself than who can you be?


Over the course of my life I have seen friends come and go. Yet I have remained close with my oldest truest friends all because of our ability to be truthful and loyal to each other. I am able to turn to different friends for different things ; such as laughter, motivation and even just wanting to talk. My friends are one of the most imporant things in my life right now, and without them I would probably be completly lost and in dire need to companionship. Yet I have alot more to learn about growing up, but one thing I know for sure is that the only way to have a true friend is to be a true friend. Also, relashionships do come and go, but the good ones stay and memories last forever. Friends are so important to me and I cherish everything we go through together !