This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

December 16, 2007
By Anonymous

Has someone ever “done you wrong” and you found it hard to forgive them? Well I have learned in the past that sometimes it is worth it. I always get into small, silly fights with one of my best friends, Lena, but I always find that we forgive each other in the next couple of minutes because it was over something stupid. Some people say that I should stop being her friend because we fight so much, but I believe in forgiveness.
Everyone says things that they regret. Nobody is perfect. Sometimes you just say things that you really do not mean when you are upset. We have all been there. I feel that it is not worth it to lose a best friend over something really stupid that was said. In the past Lena has said some very hurtful things, though I have learned to forgive I don’t just say everything is ok; I have to really think about it. Forgiveness is not just given out; it is earned so it may take a while. I don’t usually forgive someone unless I know that they are truly sorry.
I have many fond memories with my best friends and I don’t want to lose them. If I just forget that they ever existed because they said something mean then I would have to forget all the fun times we had and all the inside jokes. And Eventually I would be friendless; I do not want that. I have only lost a couple of friends in the past and I have to say it is probably for the best. We are not friends because they chose to live their lives differently then me, not because of something they said, I have to say that I am better off.
At first I believed just the opposite, I thought that I gave in too easy and I shouldn’t forgive everyone. I thought that if I did, then everyone would walk all over me. It was hard for me to forgive people that I didn’t trust. Now I know that I can forgive others and trust that they will not take advantage of it. Most anyway. I can trust my friends because we have been through so much in the past four years; they know me more than I know myself. I have learned so much about them so I know I can trust them.
“Forgiveness is not an occasional act: it is an attitude.” This is one of my favorite quotes by Martin Luther King Jr. To me this says that you don’t just forgive certain people but those who deserve it. Many of us have been told to “ be the bigger person,” I know it hard to do but sometimes you just have to. It can help you out in the long run, because I believe that if you forgive others, you will be forgiven.