University of Nevada-Las Vegas | Teen Ink

University of Nevada-Las Vegas

The University of Nevada Las Vegas is a large public university with the personalized student support of a small private college. A place where learning takes place inside and outside the classroom. A tight knit community in one of the most exciting cities in the world. In its 50-year history, UNLV has undergone an amazing transformation from a small branch college into a thriving urban research institution of 28,000 students and 3,300 faculty and staff. The university is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The most popular majors are credited to the College of Hotel Management and the College of Business, yet the university has many well grounded majors, minors, and certificate programs for students to choose from. Currently, UNLV is located on over three-hundred acres.
UNLV has nearly 200 student organizations ranging from leadership programs, diversity and multicultural groups, international groups, club sports, academic groups, special interest groups, and Greek Life which includes our 28 fraternities and sororities. There is always plenty to do on campus, whether it is a basketball game, football game, working out at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, watching a film series, Homecoming, Premier UNLV, or other special events.
There is a fair amount of diversity on campus. UNLV has students from all fifty states and over eighty countries. Many of the events on campus include and celebrate this diversity, such as UNLV’s Festival of Communities, where students gather to appreciate and learn about other cultures, try new foods, and enjoy some entertainment.
From a student’s point of view, all of my professors know my name, and even recognize me semesters after I have taken their classes. My specific department within the College of Fine Arts is rather small, which is great. We get a lot of individual attention, and class participation is a must. I do spend some time with them outside of class. We travel as an academic department together, and spend time getting our performances together outside of the class room. Also, sometimes I just need advice. I would say that my education is both geared toward getting a job and learning for its own sake. As a fine arts major, it is necessary to have a bit of both. We need to be prepared for the outside world, and we need to learn to be creative and think outside the box. I have had so many opportunities within the College of Fine Arts. I have traveled internationally to perform, teach, and represent UNLV. I have also had the opportunity to put my work out on the stage thanks to UNLV.
In addition to enjoying my major, one of the highlights of the school year for me is our basketball games. They are so much fun! Our team is really good and our students really get into the games. There is always someone to go with and everyone is excited to be there. As diverse of a school as UNLV is, the games always bring us together and make us one.
I am thoroughly pleased with my experiences at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. If I had to go back in time and make my decision on a university again, I would definitely choose UNLV. I will miss UNLV very much when I graduate, but at the same time I am excited to use what I have learned in the real world.

I love UNLV!!