The University of Pittsburgh | Teen Ink

The University of Pittsburgh

By russell bresson BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
russell bresson BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

The University of Pittsburgh, better known as Pitt, is a large public university located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania known for great academics as Division I sports. It sits on a sprawling 132-acre urban campus located just outside the heart of downtown Pittsburgh in the Oakland neighborhood. the University of Pittsburgh is a great school located in an economically prosperous city. Pitt would be an excellent choice for anyone pursuing a degree in the medical field.

Whether you’re looking for the typical two-person form room or you want an eight-person site with your friends, Pitt offers those and most everything in between. The dorms are up to date with Ethernet connections in each along with cable TV. Room and board costs about $8900 for the basic meal plan and housing option, but students can opt to pay more for added amenities.

When it comes to tuition, Pitt is a top-notch university for a fraction of the cost. Because it is a public university, the state of Pennsylvania offers reduced costs to Pennsylvania residents. Tuition for a Pennsylvania resident undergraduate student is $13,344; tuition for out of state students is $23,402. Pitt is often ranked in the top tier of American universities, but it is much cheaper than the other prestigious schools it is ranked amongst. Any students looking to attend a respected university but not spending the rest of their life paying off student loans should consider Pitt.

One of the biggest reasons to attend Pitt is the fact that it’s located in downtown Pittsburgh, which was ranked as the “Most Livable City” by The Economist in 2009. It is one of the only cities in the country that has experienced positive job growth in the past year. There is also a great deal of culture and arts available to students, who get into many of the museums free of charge. What makes Pitt a great school for medical students is also found right in Pittsburgh. The UPMC is one of the largest and best hospitals in the country and world and it’s only minutes from the campus, making it accessible for clinical hours and internships. The vibrant city of Pittsburgh alone makes Pitt worth checking out.

The University of Pittsburgh has something to offer everyone, for those academically or athletically inclined. With the city of Pittsburgh right outside the door, students will always have somewhere to go and something to do.