Grinnell College | Teen Ink

Grinnell College

By lynda2000 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
lynda2000 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

Name of campus: Grinnell College

City/state: Grinnell, Iowa

Distance from Chicago: about 300 miles

Number of students: 1600 students

Tuition: 45,000 (same for in state and out of state)

What I liked: Grinnell College may not be your typical name brand school, such as Yale or Harvard, but you are guaranteed to get just as good an education. Not many schools can offer as liberating an education as Grinnell. The school runs under the mantra of “Study Hard, Party Hard.”

I stayed at the school for four days and I was definitely able to witness both sides. On Halloween, students were seen finishing up essays and homework in the morning and then partying at night. This school is simply amazing! Another aspect that I loved was the school philosophy of “self governance.” There are almost no rules at Grinnell as the administration believes that adults should be able to govern themselves. Students at Grinnell thrive and become who they want to become.

What I didn’t like: Okay, Okay. So Grinnell, Iowa is not the most exciting place in the world. That was one of my pet peeves of the college. It is absolutely wonderful but it is literally in the middle of nowhere. This can be limiting. The weather was not a major change for me, but Grinnell is going to throw someone from , say, Hawaii off. It gets really cold in the winter.

Overall impression: What a great school! How many schools buy their students a swing set? Students wanted a swing set so Grinnell bought if for them. Also, there is a wonderful underground café at the college called “Bob’s Underground.” At this café, students are allowed to draw on the walls, tables, and anywhere else in the café. It is the ultimate form of expression. The students are bright at Grinnell, but they are the most unpretentious people I have met. They look out for each other and this contributes to the students’ success. Over 75 percent of pre-med students at Grinnell get into their first choice medical school after graduation. Grinnell ranks in the top 1 percentile of students going on to obtain their PhDs. Grinnell offers the best of both worlds

What do you wish you knew about this school before you came: I did a great amount of research before I came, so I knew what to expect.

What types of students/people should consider this school: Anyone should consider this school, but before they do they should visit campus and ask themselves “Does it feel right?”
The best part about life at this college/university is…The people here are amazing. It’s not the location that draws students here, it’s the people.
One thing he/she would change about the school would be… the location. It sucks but the good thing is that there is always something to do at school.