Lehigh University | Teen Ink

Lehigh University

March 28, 2010
By Cassandra Homick BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
Cassandra Homick BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gorgeous scenery, an exciting social life, and superior academics: What more could a college-bound senior ask for? Located in the quaint town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh University is the perfect choice for any student interested in pursuing a high-quality education.

Ranked among the top tier of US research institutes, Lehigh University is a private, co-educational school offering more than 2,000 courses and seventy undergraduate programs. The flexibility of the curriculum allows students to pursue all of their interests. Once a student is accepted into the university, he or she may enroll in the college of his or her choice, with no possibility of rejection. The admissions process proves to be quite competitive, as the standards of a GPA of 4.0 and an ACT of 30 are considered average requirements for acceptance. However, once admitted, a student can be guaranteed a top-notch education, for ninety-nine percent of Lehigh's 470 professors hold a doctorate or other terminal degree.
Students seeking a thriving social scene and community experience will have no problem finding it at Lehigh. Home to 4, 800 undergraduates and 2,110 graduates, the student body is a perfect size, big enough that there is always the opportunity to meet new people, but small enough to still have a close-knit feel. The university offers an expansive range of extracurriculars, athletics, Greek life, community service, and leadership opportunities, so the interests of all students are accounted for. Lehigh also adopts global and cultural awareness, embracing students from over sixty-five different countries each year. An array of activities enable everyone to enlighten themselves on today’s most relevant issues.
The campus itself is perhaps one of the most appealing aspects of Lehigh. A beautiful landscape and gothic style buildings create the feel of a natural paradise.The Linderman Library definitely sets a golden standard for architecture, home to more than 400,000 volumes in humanity, receiving national recognition for its phenomenal structure as well as its collection of rare works. Three exquisite undergraduate residence halls rest atop a hill overlooking the campus, and a student can always be reassured to find his or her housing preference. From single dorms to quads and private bathrooms, Lehigh is dedicated to accommodating the needs of its students. The overall setup of the grounds requires much walking; however, this can be viewed as a great way to stay in shape and fight the “freshmen 15.”
Overall, Lehigh University proves to be the ideal choice for any student. A perfect combination of academics, physical appeal, and social life, Lehigh makes the perfect home away from home. Find out more at lehigh.edu.