Syracuse University | Teen Ink

Syracuse University

August 12, 2011
By The_Fourth_Black_Sister GOLD, Verona, New York
The_Fourth_Black_Sister GOLD, Verona, New York
10 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost


Over mid-winter break I visited Syracuse University. Founded in 1870 Syracuse sits atop a huge hill in the middle of the city of Syracuse NY. Home to about 20,000 students Syracuse is one of the top private schools in the state of New York. Not only does it offer many stunning undergraduate programs, but also many graduate programs. From its law school to its award winning school of communications this school has it all. Not only is the academic side to the school awesome but so is the community.
I live forty five minutes away from Syracuse and every winter almost ever store in my area sells Syracuse basketball shirts. With a strong knit large community behind it Syracuse not only succeeds as a basketball team but as a university. Students are well accepted in the community and really blend in well. Popular hangouts for Syracuse students are the Carousel center mall just a short ten minute drive away as well as numerous downtown attractions that are just down the street.
As the community is awesome so is the space on campus. My first stop on my tour was the Schine Student Center. Not only is this home to a cafeteria but also an auditorium, bookstore, and many student services. When you walk out of Schine the campus is before you. To the right is the Newhouse School of Communications, dorms are to the left. If you walk up the hill you will find the College of Arts and Sciences and next to that is the Crouse school of Music. Then on the quad is the chapel and many other academic buildings. Everything is right there; even the hospital is on the hill. The only travelling students here really have to do is if you live on the upper campus. Students who use the upper campus sports facilities or live there don’t really mind because campus is just a short bus ride away.

Syracuse seems to have it all a close knit community, good academics, and an awesome campus. Syracuse is one of my top three schools and I look forward to applying there. Although the estimated cost of attendance is around $54,000 a year this school definitely seems worth it. With all the things it has to offer no body could get bored.


The author's comments:
After visiting this school I can't wait to apply!