A dream | Teen Ink

A dream

November 4, 2018
By Anonymous

She walked inside of the coffee shop that was on a private beach and sat down on a rather dusty and torn up chair. She called over the waiter and asked for a black coffee. Once the waiter brought out her coffee, she walked outside to feel the fresh air. She watched as the waves crashed against the shore. She heard the seagulls screeching at the top of their lungs. She felt her feet sink in the golden sand while she walked. Her mind was racing after thinking about all the things that had happened that day but she let it all out. She sat down and stared at all of her surroundings. She got up after her mind cleared of thoughts and walked over to the luminous blue water. She smelled the salty air and watched as the water washed off the shore and left seashells. She felt a warm hand touch her on the shoulder. She was startled but was calm and sat there scared. Minutes later, she heard a loud ding and got up. She looked around and saw nothing close to the beach. She set her hand down and felt a rather soft item. It was her bed. She couldn’t see very well as it was dark. She was taken back to existence and realized it was all a dream. Or was it as she saw a black coffee lay on her bedside table next to her lamp.


The author's comments:

I went to beach over the summer in Hawaii and I remember that it had a small coffee shop on it. My mom walked into that coffee shop and ordered a black coffee. She was thinking about everything that was happening that day and I watched as she stared at the ocean. I watched her look at her surroundings and she told me that she thought it was just a dream. But we were actually present at that place.