In Hope of a Better Day | Teen Ink

In Hope of a Better Day

December 3, 2018
By nbonvillian BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
nbonvillian BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

     There are people in this world that get themselves in dilemmas, especially when the solution is staring them in the face. Greetings,  my name is Olivia and I am the definition of that person. Today was one of those days that will go down in the “Olivia is Special” book that seems to get more interesting by the day. It all started when I was at school and had just failed my final exam, which resulted in an obnoxious and uncontrollable scream!  It seemed like everyone on the entire campus was staring directly at me, and I just wanted to disappear. The next “yay me” moment was forgetting about my new shift at work, resulting in my firing! The only good news I have is I will not get my car booted today since I do not own a car of course! I guess I will just have to find a positive way when things are going this bad as I know tomorrow will be a better day.

          It was a beautiful summer day and the sun was shining, so I decided to take a stroll in the park to make my previous day disappear out of my mind.  As I was walking through the park, I heard a strange noise coming towards me, so I stopped. The noise was unbearable because I had so much going on in my head and just could not take it. A tiny man was skipping through the park with a basket of baked goods.  He insisted I try his muffins with extreme enthusiasm. I accepted and forced myself to swallow his unsweetened mediocre treat. After a smile and a handshake, the strange man was gone. I was relieved that moment was over but I spoke too soon. Before anyone else got weirded out I admonished the security guard to make him morevigilant about what can go on in this park. I noticed even more things during my stroll, and now my mind was far away from my normal yet clumsy college lifestyle.  During my visit, the sky changed from day to night to day and back at least 5 times even though I felt like I had only been there for 20 minutes. I never stopped hearing that weird noise that sounded like it was following me. I thought it was that strange man, but the noise never went away when he left. It sort of sounded like an annoying bug almost but it was louder, extremely louder in fact to the point where I could not hear myself even think! I decided it was time to go but not before falling into a well that came out of nowhere.   I found an irate turtle at the bottom of the 500 foot well, sitting on his shell as if he fell backward when I landed. An altercation followed as I just had enough of this strange place, and just to make it clear I terminated that turtle. BOMP! BOMP! BOMP! BOMP! Where am I? The date says yesterday? I slowly gain focus and read a text from my manager at work: “ Good luck on your Final Exam today!!! See you at 7 for the late shift.” As I gained back conscience, the noise slowly faded. “UGH” I exclaimed as I realized it was just my alarm. What a terrible or should I say wonderful dream. I get a second chance, or as my grandfather says “ Today is the best day to fix yesterday.”