What's To Come | Teen Ink

What's To Come

By clewis24 BRONZE, Moorpark, California
clewis24 BRONZE, Moorpark, California

It was one of his most important memories. Sitting in jail, Jack would retell it over and over again to the prison guards, but they never seemed to believe him. Waiting on Death Row, he could only repeat one name in his head, over and over again — Rory.

*           *           *

Jack Westerbay was born to Tiffany May, a retired musician, and a father figure that his mother refused to talk about. He had a step-dad, Gabe and two step-sisters, Lexi and Brooke, who were too old to have any relationship with. Jack’s best friend was a stray mutt named Gordon who slept under Tiffany’s apartment.

It all started on one cold day, January 28 2002 in Northern New Jersey. Jack brushed his sandy hair out of his freckled face. Boy, did he need a haircut. He was walking on his way to school when he saw a girl sitting at the tables of a cafe with a hard, grey stare and dark hair that perfectly matched her angry stance. She looked about Jack’s age — maybe 16 or 17 —and was wearing a baggy plaid button up and ripped vintage jeans. He wasn’t completely shocked because when you’re homeless, you’ll take whatever clothes you can find. He strolled towards her, wondering if she needed anything when she started yelling and waving her arms.

“Who are you?!”

“What? Are you okay? You look… er, nevermind. Do you need something?”

Crazy-woman tensed up and took a deep breath.

“Sorry, my name is Rory Keck, are you the special package?!”.

Jack took a step back, wondering if he should run.

“Jeez okay, I’m Jack, do you need some money or something? Because I’ve got a few spare dolla-”

Rory cut him off and huffed.

“No I don’t need money, I need to talk with you, preferably alone.”

“Oh, there’s this weird thing, school, I need to get to. I’d love to stay and chat, but I’ve got a math test calling my name.”

Rory ignored him and started walking towards the school. Jack was blabbering, trying to avoid silence. They were almost to school when he realized she hadn’t said a word since he started talking.

“Oh wow, sorry. I didn't realize I was rambling. Do you go to Franklin High as well?”

She took a deep breath and Jack realized she was a good listener.

“It’s fine. Uh… yes. I go to…” She looked around for the sign of the school, “Franklin High.” The bell rung it’s singsong-y chorus. “Oh uh, I have to get to class.” She bolted behind the school.

That was… different. He thought I felt like I had known her forever when I started talking. He shuddered. Jack never wanted to feel that vulnerable again. He was a tough street kid, there was no going around, sharing information with strangers.

School came and went. He wanted to find Rory, it felt nice to have someone to talk to. Wait, no it didn’t. He threw that thought aside. I’m just feeling lonely, whatever.

But then Jack DID see her. Standing behind a brick wall attached to the edge of the school. She stomped up to him with her hands in fists

“Don’t say anything. We need to talk.” She grabbed his arm and pulled him. They walked for about half a mile until they reached an alleyway. Linc started to get worried. He was about to run when she turned around.

“I don’t know how to say this but, I need your help. My mom’s in trouble and only you can help her.”

“Oh um. Okay.” Jack replied. Her face went slack, as if she was thinking of how she could respond.

“Why are you taking it so easily? For a while I wasn’t sure, but now I am. You’re the one, I know it.” Rory’s face turned red, her temper starting to rise.

“I just think you’re insane. No offense though, you seem fine.”

“My mom. She’s gotten too far deep into things she shouldn’t. The man- h-he told me I would find an important hero. If they were to help, it would be fixed.

“Yeah okay. Let’s say I am this hero dude, how am I supposed to help? I’m not an exorcist.”

Jack wanted to help, he felt like Rory was the one person he could trust, even though he had only met her that morning and the circumstances were strange. Jack replayed his life back, both his parents wanted him gone and his only friend was a mutt. He started to hope that he was special, but he knew it was too good to be true. Though, Jack wanted to help Rory and her mom, he could understand having a negligent parent.

“I don’t have the wrong guy. He told me I would find the final piece to my puzzle. The  link to it all.”

Jack wondered for a few moments, contemplating his choices. After a few seconds of silence, he decided that even if he wasn’t the right guy, he wanted to help Rory and her mom. Just because he didn’t have a good life, doesn’t mean other people shouldn’t. He wanted to make Rory happier though, Jack hated serious conversations, they always sounded so — well serious.

“Okay. I’ll help you. But how will I do it? Do you want me to sing a little rhyme?”

“No, that would be — Oh, that was sarcasm wasn’t it. Don’t worry too much Jack. I get it, hearing all this stuff is stressful. I’m not completely sure how to do it, but soon enough, we’ll figure out what we need to do.”

And as if that explanation of the century, Rory walked through the alley to wherever her mom was. On the way, Rory told Jack where they were heading. To an abandoned factory. Jack became lost in thought. I’m special? Jack Thought Yeah, and Elvis is the Queen of England. He stumbled over a rock and scratched his palms. As he brushed himself off, he saw the old building, barely holding itself together.

“Oh, okay. Well, we’re here.”

Rory spread her arms as if she was a ringmaster. They were in front of a factory. The faded blue walls were dented and the deep grey doors were propped open. That’s when Jack started to formulate a game plan.

“This whole, ‘cleanse mom of evil’ thing, how does it work? What am I supposed to do?”

Rory pulled out her dagger.

“Here. Take this.”

“Whoa there! I’m not stabbing anyone Rory, I’m not a murderer.”

That settled it for Jack. He immediately dubbed her insane.

“I’ll do what you need me too, but I really don’t want to hurt anybody.”

Her face flashed anger but it quickly went back to sympathy.

“Don’t worry. Nobody is getting hurt. She won’t feel a thing, stabbing this in the small of her back will fix her, I swear it.”

Jack looked at her in despair, he desperately didn’t want to hurt anyone but he gingerly grasped for the knife, the silver hilt clanging against the small ring on his finger.

Rory started walking towards the doors, turned, and beckoned to follow her. As Jack walked through the large steel doors, he got a chilling feeling of sadness and despair. The doors slammed shut the darkness encompassed the room. There, in the middle of the room, was a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling, illuminating a calendar in the far corner, a big red circle around that day’s date.

“Rory?”

“Right here. Follow my voice, I know this place pretty well, even in the dark.”

“Okay well, where’s your mom?”

“Just follow me, okay?” She snapped, then she regained her composure, “Sorry, this is stressful for me.”

Jack tensed, wondering if he could trust this girl, but he didn’t have much time to think about it before Rory trudged along.

She led him through a small door into a 6x6 room.

Jack stifled a scream. In the left corner of the room, there was a sickly, small women. She was covered and rags and had long stringy brunette hair, caked with grime and dirt. She lifted a scrawny hand, as if she was trying to pull herself up. It was terrifying. Rory looked at the woman and glared.

“Do it Jack. Right now, while we have her cornered.”

“What? This is your mother? I’m sorry, if I touch her, I think she’ll die. We need to call a hospital.”

Rory seemed to grow taller and taller before she finally spat out with acid-like words “Are you going to help me or not? This isn’t a joke Jack. Do it or leave, now.”

Jack looked around, scanning the room for an exit. He desperately wanted to get Rory’s mom away from this prison.

Rory stared daggers at him and Jack felt his legs trudging towards the creature in the corner. Jack felt the knife humming in his hands. He kept repeating to himself I’m helping her, I’m helping her, I’m helping her. As he raised the knife, the women looked up at him with fear and panic in her eyes.

“DO IT JACK” Rory was screaming now.

The knife plunged into her back and she screamed. The woman fell down in agony and took her last breaths.

“What’s happening. Why is she not breathing? Rory what’s happening?” Jack scrambled with his words, hot tears falling from his face. He tried to pick her but it was no use, she fell limply to the ground once more. Rory turned her head and flashed a smile.

“The last piece of the puzzle I needed to fill before I could reform the world forever, my poor mother didn’t do anything,” Rory mocked, “I couldn’t perform it myself, but both parents needed to be out of the picture to complete a worthy sacrifice. It’s nothing personal though — thanks Jack”

Rory’s eyes flashed from grey to red before she stepped into the darkness and vanished

And then there were the sirens.

* *                      *

That’s the story he always told his cellmates. 17 years after his arrest, his last day on earth would be January 28. He laughed at the irony of it all. Of course the twisted government would choose the anniversary of the day he was betrayed.

“SHE’S COMING,” Jack would scream “RORY IS THE LAST NAME YOU’LL HEAR”

Security guards struggled to get him down on the ground. They restrained him and pulled him to the fateful room.

“For the last time!” A guard grunted, pulling Jack along, “Rory Keck doesn’t exist.”

Jack was thrown into the room, he glanced back at the hallway he just emerged from. He smiled, for he saw those stormy grey eyes looking back at him. The iron door shut as he was locked in the room.

Many would say Jack Westerbay was insane. Maybe he was, although, only he knew what was to come.