The true story of Hansel and Gretel | Teen Ink

The true story of Hansel and Gretel

By Edenmills04 BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee
Edenmills04 BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee

Once upon a time, there was a small town. In that small town lived a humble woodcutter and his wife. They had two kids name Hansel and Gretel. One day, the town ran out of food and so very little was left. “What are we going to do, my dear wife?” cried the woodcutter. “I’ll tell you what we can do,” said the wife. “We can take our children and leave them in the woods, so that we can save food for ourselves,” the wife proclaimed. “No, we cannot do that! I will not take my children into the woods and leave them there!” yelled the woodcutter. However, that is exactly what they did.

My name is Gretel. My brother’s name was Hansel. He is no longer with us, but I will get to that later. You see, after my brother and I overheard our parents , I began to weep. Well, that’s what the story tells you, but this is not a story this is the truth. It wasn’t I who cried it was Hansel. So I had to sooth him and then we took pebbles with us on a trail. But the problem was that our mother knew we were dropping pebbles, and on her way back home, after lighting a fire for us, she picked up the pebbles and took them with her.

When we tried to go back home, we couldn’t find our way so we went back to the fire. Hansel was always the weak one. He couldn’t control his emotions if he tried. So when he started crying I had to be a good sister and say to him “It’s all going to be alright. We are going to be okay. Mom and Pop are going to come back for us. I know they will. They have to.” But they never came back.

After a couple days passed, we began to see things. Not just any sort of things. We wandered into the woods, so far that there was no water in sight. Until we came across what looked like a house made of candy, and who wouldn’t be overjoyed to see a house made of candy, plus we were starved. The windows were made of pure sugar melted down into a translucent glass. The doors and walls made of gingerbread. The house was decorated with so many treats. We couldn’t help ourselves, so we ate and ate and ate until we heard a voice. “Who’s eating my house?” said the voice, it sounded like a old woman. And we weren’t scared of any old woman. So, instead, we just yelled “Us, ma’am, we are Hansel and Gretel, and we ate your house. We are so very sorry, but we were so hungry.”

“Well then, come on in. We can’t have you out in the cold,” said a nice old lady peering out of the door. Before we knew it, we were inside her house, being fed ham and turkey, with a side of baked carrots and mashed potatoes. It was so good and filled us up so much, we didn’t realize what was really happening.

Then, she tried to capture us and stick us into the fire she had burning. Instead of giving up, we tricked her and pushed her into the fire. Then I woke up by the fire that Momma had started for me. But instead of the witch being inside the fire, Hansel was inside the fire. And then, I knew that the witch wasn’t real. And Hansel was gone.

I didn’t have a choice. I was so hungry. I couldn’t help it. I just couldn’t. I was so hungry and he was already cooked, so I ate Hansel, and now he is gone forever. The worst part was Pappa traveled back into the woods to retreive us. Hansel was never able to go back with us, but at least he didn’t have to deal with what came next.

When we got back to the house, it was gone, mom was gone, the town was gone, Hansel was gone. Dad and I were the only ones left. But he died later that year of starvation. Now there is only me. I am the only one left. I don’t know what to do, but I do know that I am good on the food now that dad is gone. It pains me, but being only 9, what else can I do. We don’t have animals around, and I don’t know how to hunt. We don’t even have any type of transportation. I have to go I think I see people over the horizon.

A Few months later

I was correct. there were people they are very nice to me so far. They have given me food to eat and water to drink. Yet they won't tell me their names, but   they look familiar. I just can’t put my finger on it. There is a male and a female. The female looks to be my age and blonde. The other is possibly a few years older maybe a teen or a young adult.  The girl has blonde hair, blue eyes, and wears a blue dress with white tights. And a blue bow headband. The male has red hair, pale skin, looks to be wearing makeup, but only on the eyes. He always wears a hat and has an obsession with tea.

I feel safe, as though I have always belonged with these people.  I feel as though I should stay with them. Even though I don’t have any other options. Oh yes, I forgot one more thing I find odd, but it could just be my imagination. There is a purple cat who talks, and often likes to disappear and reappear at random times.

Three months later

Hello again. I have so much to tell you. I have learned the people’s names since I have been with them for some time. The girl’s name is Alice. They call the boy Mad Hatter. As they call him. That is all he would tell me. Oh, and the cats name is cheshire. They are my family now and I feel welcome. But there is still something bothering me. Cheshire keeps talking about a lost story or something like that. And when I talk about it with him he tells me that we are all from destroyed and forgotten fairytales, and that is why I have found them because they are from a fairy tale and so am I. But I think that he is a bit out of his mind, so I think nothing of it.

I have to go. I don’t  think that we will see each other for a long time, maybe even never. So this is farewell my friend. Thank you for listening to my story. Hopefully you have learned the truth. So goodbye and have fun on your journey.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you meet a guy named Peter Pan, then tell him that Alice will be looking for him, along with a white rabbit she’s been talking about for months now.