Life or Death | Teen Ink

Life or Death

By Mexico123456 SILVER, Sacramento, California
Mexico123456 SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Wake up to reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this world. The longer you live, the more you realize that in this reality, only pain, suffering, and futility exist."

Chapter 1: The Difficult living

It’s the year 1984 in Palmarito, Mocorito Sinaloa. There was once a family that was living poorly. The family member that was working was the Father named Raul. He is 25 years old and works as a worker in construction. Raul is a 5’9 tall man, with a muscular build, Pale skin as snow, hair as dark as night, dull brown eyes with a glare of innocence, A tight royal blue long sleeve shirt, baggy pants , arch eyebrows, and lastly good looking that every girl wanted him. He has a wife named Maria in addition to she takes care of their 2 boys named Diego and Mateo. Diego is 5 years old and Mateo is 7 years old. 

Raul was being paid 40 pesos an hour and was having a hard time paying the bills. Raul and Maria own a house that is small and has three rooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom. Diego and Mateo have their rooms. One day Raul and Maria talk about Raul going to the United States to get more money and to have a better life to bring Maria along with the children later on after Raul gets enough money. Maria said no at first but she later said that she will think about it. 

A week later she finally said go ahead and I wish you well on your journey. Raul had a secret stash of money that he saved up just in case of an emergency. He had about 10,000 pesos in that secret stash saved up. Later that day Raul gets off work and goes to a bar and orders a drink. After Raul is done drinking his version becomes blurry and he feels a chills down his spine that paralyze him. Next thing you know, a random man who was in his 30s, black hair, chubby, good-looking clothes, good looking face, with a trustworthy smile that held a dark side of him, Raul sees him in a dark alleyway and the random man came to him offering to take him to the United States. 

Raul thought he was trying to scam him so he said no to the random man. The random man gives him a card with an address telling Raul, “If you want to find me and discuss finding a coyote, just find me,” said the random man. 

The Address said AV INSURGENTES NO. 2920, RUBEN JARAMILLO, 82400, plus Raul thought about talking to him again.

He ends up talking about it to his wife and she said, “it’s just probably a scam and wants to take your money.” “It’s a possibility that he is not lying,” said Raul.

Chapter 2: The Deal

Raul was still wondering if he should look for the guy. On April 7, 1984, he ended up seeing the random man. The random man introduces himself this time. 

“I am Miguel Sanchez but you can call me Miguel,” said the random man. Raul replied, “Nice to meet you, my name is Raul Garcia Lopez but you can call me Raul.” 

“I am a coyote and I am willing to help you get to the United States for 13,000 pesos walking or 25,000 pesos on car,” mentioned Miguel. “I only have 10,000 pesos, can that be enough for the walking one,” claimed Raul. “Yeah that’s fine but you will pay me 3,000 pesos once you start having a good life and don’t worry I will walk with you,” Miguel answered.

“Tomorrow starts your walking journey,” Miguel said. Raul asked, “where are we meeting at.” Miguel replied, “we will meet in the desert close to Chihuahuan.” Raul left and went back home at 8 in the nighttime. Once the door opened Maria hugged Raul and said, “welcome home honey” and Raul started to tell Maria that tomorrow he is going to the United States and he told her that he was leaving at 6 in the morning. 

Chapter 3: The Adventure begins here

On April 8, 1984, Raul wakes up at 5 in the morning and kisses Maria in the head, and hugs her. He also goes to both of his son’s rooms and Raul kisses Diego and Mateo on the forehead and hugs them, packs up and leaves. 

Miguel and Raul meet up in the Chihuahuan desert and start walking. Raul has a backpack of water and food and the walk was about 2,248.7 km to get to the United States. A day passes by (April 9, 1984), Raul and Miguel start to feel tired and want to stop for a while. They find a cave by getting inside it and start resting.

They end up waking up and it’s about to be nighttime so they decide to stay. It’s April 10, 1984, Raul wakes up and sees that Miguel left the place they were sleeping. He ends up finding him outside the cave, sharpening his blade and taking his backpack. 

“I thought you left me,” said Raul. “As if, a man keeps his promise,” replied Miguel. “Let’s keep going,” Raul said.

A week later (April 17, 1984) at 10 am they traveled around 1,000 km and Raul and Miguel both started to get heat stroke and Raul fainted. 

Chapter 4: The Betrayal

It was April 18, 1984 9 am, Raul woke up and had rope around his body. Miguel had his knife on his right hand. He thought Raul looked as disloyal as they came. 

Raul screamed, “STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!”. 

Raul had a knife in his back pocket and cut his way out of rope. 

Miguel was laughing and wanting to kill Raul to take what he had. Once Raul cuts the rope he steps back as Miguel launches a swing at him with the knife. Raul after he stepped back he tried to disarm Miguel, Next thing you know Miguel stabbed Raul on his left arm leaving him bleeding. 

“I thought you were not going to betray me,” Raul said. 

“Well that's how it goes in this type of business, it's not you,” responded Miguel.  “You imbecile, I thought you were a man of your word and not a killer,” said Raul calmly. Miguel swang again but this time Raul dodges his swing and he ends up slicing Miguiel in the neck and he ends up running away. 

Chapter 5: The Unexpected

After Raul killed Miguel he had blood all over his long sleeve shirt. He felt trapped in that traumatic past but deep inside knew that there was no other way. It had to be done. While he was thinking he kept on walking and stopped at a cave and it was nighttime. April 19, 1984 Raul wakes up at 3 in the morning he walked and walked but he threw his long sleeve shirt that had blood so travelers don’t find evidence of the murder of Miguel Sanchez. He ends up walking 2,248.7 miles a week later and barely makes it.

Chapter 6: The American Dream

He makes it by walking past the border and he ends up sitting on the side of the road putting his thumbs up. While he was putting his thumb up he was half naked and a car appeared and there was a female in her 20’s and she had glowy brown skin, long brown hair, green eyes, slim figure, she was 5’7. She gets out of the car and has a long red fancy dress with black heels. She helps Raul and takes him to Los Angeles which would take 2-3 hours. They spoke to each other and had a great time. 

“My name is Sandra,” said the woman. “I am glad to meet you. My name is Raul” replied Raul.

They talked until they got there. She let him crash at her place and he ended up living with her for four years. He got his license, his car, nice clothes, his residence and he ended up sending money to Maria as he promised. He ends up going back to Palmarito, Mocorito Sinaloa Mexico and he finds his wife assassinated on the floor with his two boys Diego and Mateo with her. He is so upset that he digs three graves and turns out that the assassin wrote a letter to Raul. It said that the assassin knew that Raul assassinated Miguel, It also said that “I killed them just to get revenge for my friend Miguel.” 

Chapter 7: The New Life (the ending)

Raul went back and told Sandra that his wife and two kids got assassinated. Sandra tried to cheer Raul up in his darkest time. Time passes by, Raul and Sandra get married and have 2 kids One boy named Juan that is 3 yrs old and one girl named Emma that is 1yrs old. They live a good life and one day assassinate the killer of Rauls first wife Maria and his two boys Diego and Mateo. 

The End