Lost To Time | Teen Ink

Lost To Time

Daytona and I started to talk about our grandfather whose funeral we intended. My brother Daytona brings up the stories about our grandfather who used to entertain us as kids. I chimed in and talked about the treasure of 1886. The treasure our grandfather said was lost because of time. That story entertained us for hours; the map grandfather had confused us and inspired us all at the same time. Daytona thought Grandpa lost it, but that was the first thing I took when he died. I told him I had possession of the map as well as all the books. Daytona wanted to see the map and books; that entertained us as children.

Daytona and I met at my house to see the map and book to reminisce about our younger years and how the world was so mysterious as kids. Daytona looked in amazement at the rustic map and books that had been stitched together. 

Daytona said, “ Drake, we should find the lost treasure to honor our grandfather.” 

I remarked, “ I wish but I have responsibilities and a job”. 

Daytona fired back, “ There is a life-changing amount of gold; this could change our children's lives and their kids”.

I caved and said, “Let's do it”.

We spent months reading books and sticky notes and intently studying the maps. The books were hard to understand but Grandpa's sticky notes helped along the way. Well, reading our grandfather's, we finally had a break. We finally broke through and noticed we needed to head to Missouri to start and find Howard Fields.

Daytona said,” Drake why Missouri?”. 

I replied,” Who's Howard Fields?”.

Then I said,” Mayde the gaps will close when we find the manor in Missouri”. 

We hopped on a plane from Buffalo, New York to Kansas City, Missouri. Rented a car and headed south to an old abandoned forgotten manor tucked into the trees. On the entry pillar read Fields Manor Est. 1884.

Daytona said Jokingly,” If we couldn’t find a needle in a haystack how did we find this Drake”.

I said half laughing” We didn’t have a hint pointing us to a needle in the haystack. Grandpa also did most of the work”.

We drove through the long forgotten courtyard, hopped out, and walked to the door. Daytona broke the door down. I walked into the manor and saw Roman statues. I remembered Grandpa's notes talking about Marcus Aurelius, a famous Roman general. I started to head in the direction of the Roman statues that pointed to the study. I walked into the study and there were three bookshelves and a fancy desk. I looked at the desk up and down looking for buttons. 

Then Daytona found me and said,” Want are you doing it more than likely behind the bookshelves”. That’s when I hit a button and a bookshelf flung open and smacked Daytona in the face knocking him to the ground.

Daytona said half dazed,” I was right you’re not all the brains”. 

I walked through the hidden door and said,” You would have pulled all the books to tell there was nothing left; there may have been a trap if you had done that”. 

As I walked into the room I stared at a large stone door and tried to find a way in. Maybe it was a rope to cut and the door would open but there was nothing. I was puzzled until I noticed a button on the far right wall. I pushed the button and then the door cracked then opened slowly. The Gas proud out of the door, the stall air, and even a hint of ammonia. I was coughing as I walked in and noticed the floor was starting to lean my way so I ran for the middle: then I sat there gasping for air, panicking. Daytona saw me struggle with the floor so when it was his turn to follow he was prepared. 

I said out of breath,” This is dangerous”. 

Daytona with a smirk said,” Nothing in life worth anything is easy”.

After that exchange of words, I noticed something behind Daytona; it looked like a door. I brought this to his attention and he agreed. The door looked like you had to run, jump, and break through the door. We played rock, paper, scissors to see who ended up going first. I won rock, paper, scissors and chose to go first. I ran from one corner to the other, jumped, hit the wall, and closed my eyes. I opened my eyes and there was treasure as far as I could see. 

Daytona yelled,” Are you alive Drake”.

I replied,” Yes, jump you need to see this”. 

Daytona jumped and a crash followed. I assumed the floor balanced on the pillar fell because Daytona was behind me when I heard the crash and turned. We both looked in ah there had to have been 375 million dollars of gold in front of us.

Daytona yelled,” I told you so let's ”. But the sound of cracking and then a boom interrupted him before he could finish his sentence. I think the crash of the floor caused a change in reaction of sorts. We looked at each other and noticed we would not have time to take the gold; if we took the time to get some of the gold one of us would surely die. We both nodded and knew we had to live. A thought in my head yelled that there are more important things in life than money. So we ran towards a door that had light peeking through a crack. This led to a cave that we followed out and hopped back in the car.

` I said,” We have the full story that Grandpa never finished the story of the treasure of 1886 for our kids”. Then I checked my phone and noted an ad for a map. I showed the map to Daytona.

I said,'' Round Two '' Daytona Nodded and said’” let's go ”.

This was a School Project.