Oh Happy Days | Teen Ink

Oh Happy Days

December 15, 2023
By kelbicain BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
kelbicain BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Water droplets glitter, scattering colorful rays of light across the vibrant green grass. A woman sits on a red plaid cloth delicately laid on the grass, setting out all the foods she had chosen the night before. Out in the distance, her husband throws a frisbee to their two children; a daughter and a son.  Her dog sits down right beside her, waiting patiently for the scraps of food the children are inevitably gonna drop. 

                “Jack, kids, lunchtime,” She called after her family. 

                “You heard that kiddos, time to eat,” Jack told his children, stopping the game. 

                “But, Daddy, I want to play some more!” Theo whined, throwing himself onto the hard grass. 

               “ I know buddy, but, after we eat. Your mother worked hard to prepare us a nice family picnic today,” he started. “ come on, Theo, let’s go eat, Gwennie and your mother are already over there waiting on us.” He picked Theo up by his feet, holding him upside down for a few seconds the seven-year-old giggling at his father’s antics-  then put Theo on his shoulders and carried him over towards the tree that Gwen and Haley were sitting under. Jack put Theo down on the blanket beside Gwen as Haley handed out the food. The four of them sat there, eating the delicious food Haley had prepared, laughing, and enjoying their time together as a family. These truly were the happy days.