A Dare | Teen Ink

A Dare

By MusicIsLife013 SILVER, New York, New York
MusicIsLife013 SILVER, New York, New York

"Light, like the flutter of wings, feel your hollow voice rushing into me
As you're longing to sing" -AFI

"Here we go again, I kinda wanna be more than friends, so take it easy on me I'm afraid you're never satisfied." -Neon Trees

My heart pounded as I lied on the tracks. How the hell did I always get myself into these situations? Because I didn’t want to be showed up by Jimmy. I heard the train in the distance, the cheers of the other kids who stood a few feet away from the tracks, the ringing of the train-crossing signs. I DARE YOU, I DARE YOU, I DARE YOU! Their voices rang in my head.

Just a few more seconds; a few more seconds. The train whistle grew louder and louder. Good enough.

I jumped up and heard a loud pop and my leg gave out. I crumpled back to the ground, which was when the pain started. I yelped when I saw the source, my ankle was jammed between two rails in the track. Oh no. I pulled on my ankle and gasped as a wave of pain streamed up my leg. I could see the train begin to appear in the distance.

Panic set in. Gritting my teeth, I ignored the burning pain and pulled and twisted my leg, trying anything to get free. I yanked until I saw stars but my ankle wouldn’t budge. The train was getting closer. I screamed wordlessly and turned to the other kids. They didn’t seem to realize something was wrong, they were probably thinking how gutsy I was to be staying on the tracks so long. After all, I was the self-proclaimed Queen of Dares.

“Help!” They couldn’t hear me over the train. I tried crawling off the tracks but didn’t get very far. I DARE YOU, I DARE YOU! “Guys, please help me!” The train was on top of me.

I DARE YOU!

I've been writing for as long as I remember and this is about the shortest story I've ever written. It was also probably the quickest I've ever written, since I just came up with the idea yesterday.

As you're longing to sing" -AFI

thank you :)

on Jun. 30 2010 at 11:09 am
Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

This is wonderful, it is short, but the length seems perfect to me. five out of five... again! ;-)

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

In a world of CooCoo Puffs, dare to be a Fruity Pebble.

My cousion's friend died this way.  It was a dare.  he would stand on the tracks untill thr train came and then jump off.  They were drunk and he didn't jump off in time.

gollyitshannah PLATINUM, Woodbridge, Connecticut

"So you want a heart? You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable"

omg this was intense. It was breathtaking.

you are an amazing writing.

check out my stuff??

As you're longing to sing" -AFI

haha wow! It means so much to me when people like my stuff :)

SageSin GOLD said...
SageSin GOLD, Oaklawn, Illinois

"Accept everything about yourself. I mean everything. You are you, and that is the beginning and the end; No apologies, no regrets."

AWE STRIKING! I love your pieace adn I am Going to favorite it! ~

////,...,^  <------This is fang he says: IM NOT GONNA CRY I SWEAR!

As you're longing to sing" -AFI

aw well thank you very much!! :)

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Short and AMAZING!!!! I just love this! Very mysterious.

nitegirl BRONZE, Myrtle, Missouri

Beacause 10 billion years time is so fragile, so emepheral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking foundness

- its from a show i used to watch that i can't remeber the name of

wow that wuz amazing

very good but u should write more to it (idk how how mayb add wat the darers thoughts were)

AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania

Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

wow this was really amazing and very suspensful! great work