The Door That Never Should Have Been Opened | Teen Ink

The Door That Never Should Have Been Opened

December 7, 2010
By OliviaL. BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
OliviaL. BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

This all started with a typical day. Just another weekend away with my two best friends. We pushed ourselves into the car and had just started driving when Gina and Lexi told me to pull over. I was already approaching the shoulder of the road when I saw what they were thinking.

Not too far ahead, a man in tattered clothing was walking alongside the road. I couldn’t help but be slightly resentful. “Um…” I tried to say something, but Gina and Lexi were already getting out of the car and retrieving the man. He smelled of beer and some kind of smokey sweet substance. I gave Lexi an unsure glance. “Thanks for the ride,” the man mumbled. There was little to no gratitude in his voice. I forced myself to smile in response.

After a while of driving I realized I had no idea where I was dropping this man off. I hesitantly asked him where he was headed. “Lakeview Hotel,” he replied his deep gravely voice. I almost went into shock. I gripped the steering wheel tightly. We were staying at the Lakeview Hotel. Something was off with this man.

Although I had just wanted to drive in silence I pushed myself to talk to him. “Oh really? Business or pleasure?” I asked with faked pleasantness. “Business,” he grumbled. I nodded. “Who do you work for?” I asked. He chuckled. “For anyone who will pay me.” I didn’t like that answer, but I didn’t want him to think I was afraid of him.
We pulled up to the Lakeview Hotel and he shot out of the car with barely a whisper goodbye or a thank you. I glared after this stranger who had been in my car, who my friends had invited to ride with us. A shiver snaked down my spine.


I turned off the engine and turned toward my friends. “What were ya’ll thinking?” I worked hard not to raise my voice. They both looked guilty. A mere shrug was all they offered. I shook my head. “Whatever,” I replied weakly. “Let’s just grab our bags and check in.”


Despite the issue at hand we enjoyed stretching our legs after the drive. Lexi, Gina and I smiled. All was forgiven…for now. The man was in the past, it was time to get our weekend of fun started.


We carried our bags to reception where a young man greeted us. “Good evening, Ladies. Welcome to the Lakeview Hotel. How may I assist you?” He asked. I smiled. “Hi. We have to check-in. The room is under the last name Burrows,” I said casually. The man typed something into his computer and handed us small, smooth, rectangular room keys. “Enjoy your stay,” he said cheerfully.
We took the elevator and walked all over the third floor until we found our room. I beamed. I was ready to get this bag in the room and start looking around but as soon as the door opened Lexi and Gina collapsed on the bed. I frowned, wishing we could start our adventure.

I thought about forcing them to get us and come look around with me but decided against it. “I’m going to look around, I will see y’all later,” I said as I slipped out the door quickly.

I walked all around the hotel. I saw the café on the second floor, the small garden outside and the pool room on the first floor. By the time I was ready to go back I was really tired. I hardly knew where I was going. I just placed one foot in front of the other blindly.

I thought I was getting closer to my room when I saw a door laying wide open. I tiptoed into the room. It was a presidential suite. I knew this wasn’t my room but my curiosity was piqued. I thought briefly about the visitors staying in this room. “Why would they leave the door open?” I questioned. “The maid is probably just cleaning the room…it will be fine,” I told myself in my head.

I walked into the next room. “Are you sure?” A man said. I was too late. I didn’t back up in time, he saw me. I was staring at a guy in a black suit with a black briefcase in his hand and the man I had given a ride to, they were staring back at me.
The men looked angry. I tried to run but something hit me on the head….hard. Everything went black and that was how my life ended. I had one last thought….. Or conclusion if you will. One generous act that shouldn’t have been committed, one briefcase I wasn’t supposed to see and a door that never should have been opened. This was what killed me. That and the man who stood by me with blood on his hands.


The author's comments:
I got this story idea watching a really interesting murder investigation show. The show left me feeling intrigued, sad and thoughtful. I hope my audience leaves feeling those same things.