Freedom Fighters: No Heroes | Teen Ink

Freedom Fighters: No Heroes

March 16, 2012
By MickLiberty GOLD, Troy, Michigan
MickLiberty GOLD, Troy, Michigan
15 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."
Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Dark Knight Rises


In the streets of New York, we heard many screams of innocent people. Guns went off. Cars were flipped over and riots went on. We saw this all from the roofs. Scarlet, Teal, and Rocky came beside me. I am Kalen Sanderson, also known as Liberty Man. "Are you almost ready Kalen?" Asked Teal. "Yeah, get Rocky for me." This is no time to fool around. My plan was simple: get on the streets and stop the crime. Rocky put his hand on my shoulder as he asked me what I wanted. I spoke to him in a harsh voice. "Alright, let's get one thing straight. No killing. We're going to keep the action smooth okay?" He put his mask on as he answered me, "Okay." Rocky wasn't a crime fighter, he was a killer. Spent three years in the FBI and still couldn't contain his anger on his team being eliminated. Eventually, he went on a track of revenge to kill the man who executed his friends. They were more than his friends, his brothers. The man who killed his team is Victor. Victor will have to wait, though. We had bigger problems.

I walked over to the squad and informed them of the plan. "Alright, listen up, we're going to get to the streets and stop these criminals. Don't go full rush to them, they have guns."
"What about the civilians? If we get spotted they'll shoot them." Asked Scarlet.
"That's a question I can't answer. Just be careful." Scarlet always asked the questions. She mostly did the planning before. Now it was my turn. It was my turn to lead blind justice. All of us jumped down on the dumpster below. We cautiously approached the thug roughing up a man. I came toward the two, distracting the criminal. "You know what, I've always said that New York doesn't need monsters like you. This is a place for freedom, not murder." The thug stopped punching the man and looked at me, a smart grin on his face. "Well, look what we've got here. Take off your superhero costume, it's not Halloween." The gangster pulled out a pistol from his back pocket and held it up to the man's head. "Let him go," I said. He smirked again. "You think this person is innocent? He's not, none of you are. You're no heroes" With impatience, Rocky equipped his gun and accurately shot the criminal. The bullet flew past the civilian’s face. The murderous person fell to the ground. "No," I shouted. I angrily grasped Rocky's arm, but without warning, his fist made contact with my face. When I regained my vision, Rocky walked away dropping his mask on the floor.

The thug was right we weren't heroes. We were just people fighting a battle inside ourselves. But together, we were truly freedom fighters.