The Coma | Teen Ink

The Coma

By cdfe07 BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
cdfe07 BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois

Your best friend isnt the one to bail you out of jail. He is the one sitting right next to you.

It was a hot day in Avondale Arizona, the year was 1987.
“Hey Victoria do you wanna see a movie tonight? I was thinking something scary.”

“Yea definitely I love scary movies, and we haven’t seen one in a while.”
So the date was set up for eight O’clock sharp. Nothing fancy, just a regular plain old date, I’ve gone on hundreds of them. I was going to pick her up around seven thirty, so I went out the door got in my car,
“Oh shoot forgot my wallet.”
So I went back inside and got it. This time I actually left the driveway. I got to her house and I complemented her, and then opened the car door for her. It was a nice drive there; we caught all of the green lights. I bought the tickets, some popcorn, and a drink. We sat towards the back of the theatre wasn’t too crowded but still a decent amount of people. The movie seemed to go by fast.
“Hey did you like the movie, was it scaaary?”
“Don’t make fun of me it was really scary.”
“Sorry I apologize for that, the movie just didn’t seem scary to me. I thought that it was supposed to be funny.”
We got back to the car ready to start the fifteen minute drive home. It was odd though I noticed a full moon, but nothing odd had really happened. I hadn’t made as many green lights

as the drive there. When I accelerated as the light turned green, I made it about halfway into the intersection when a drunk driver came flying at us and hit right where I sat.

The drunk driver slammed into the driver side door almost sending them into a barrel roll. They slid down the road almost hitting some other cars waiting at the red light. The drunk driver skidded off the road and into a ditch. Victoria tried to wake Henry but he was unconscious, although Victoria was able to get out of the wreck with some bruises and scratches. She immediately called an ambulance for help. They arrived in a few minutes; they rushed Henry and a passenger that was in the drunk driver’s car. Victoria stayed until the police arrived to learn more about the accident, and give the insurance information.

I talked to the police for a while, but the cuffed the drunk driver then took both of us down to the station. They talked to us for a while, but they wanted us to come back tomorrow when the drunk driver was sober. I called my friend for a ride to the hospital to check on henry, he still wasn’t awake but thankfully he was stable. Sarah then took me back home and I talked with my parents about what had happened, then I went to sleep. I woke up then realized I was supposed to be at the police station, so I hurried down there, and talked with Officer Dan for a while, and then went back to the hospital where henry was. I sat in his room for several hours, sleeping on and off, until a doctor came in and introduced himself as Dr. Brandt. He gave me some information about how Henry was doing. He said that Henry is stable, but will need to stay in the I.C.U. for a few more weeks. He is currently in a coma. They have no idea when he will wake up, the doctor just told me to pray for him. I did exactly that every day for the first three months into his coma; they asked me if I still wanted him on life support or if I wanted to let him go. I loved him so much that I couldn’t let him go. I cried just thinking about it. I just wanted to wake up from this dream, but it wasn’t, so I just had to move on and try to forget about Henry. I tried to find a new boyfriend but none of the men I knew were as good as Henry, none of them were even close. Nobody could replace him nobody. The best one I could find was Joey. He was a great person and cared so much about Henry. Joey was an actor, not a big shot actor though. He still had a nice house and he had a decent amount of money. We talked about what was happening to Henry over coffee. It had been six months now into the coma and I was starting to think about maybe stopping life support because things weren’t looking good. Joey convinced me that things would turn around and he would soon be better so we held on to him, still praying for him once in a while. Joey and I started going out more often until we were pretty much dating. We quickly became boyfriend and girlfriend. I spent most of the time living in his house instead of my moms. I sort of forgot all about Henry until I got a call from the doctor that his conditions had gotten better, and he no longer needed life support, he could survive on his own but he still had not yet woken up. My life went on nicely for several more months. Joey and I were becoming closer and closer with every day that passed. We went out at least twice a week. Sometimes we would go get coffee to talk things over. We celebrated Christmas at his family’s house. Then we had our own party on New Year, and we invited everyone in our families. Nothing really happened for the next few months everything was normal and life just went on the same as always. I visited Henry one day in the Hospital; he was lying there asleep on his bed. I leaned in and kissed his forehead. Just then he woke up, and I called in the doctor. Dr. Brandt said that Henry would be able to leave in two days. I was so happy that he was better I stayed with him for most of the two days until he could come home. When the day came I helped him get to the car, got him in the passenger seat. Then we drove home slowly and safely so that we would not get in another accident.
“Do you want to pick up where we left off dating?”
“Yea definitely”
“You might want to head on down to the police station sometime this week. The police want to talk to you if you remember anything from the accident.”
“Alright I will head on down there tomorrow.”
“Do you even remember anything from the accident? I mean it was like over six months ago.”
“No, not really I can’t remember anything; except that I got about halfway into the intersection and that we got it on the driver side. That’s it, all I can remember.”
I still never told him about what was going on between me and Joey. So there I was dating two men at the same time. One day I was trying to sneak over too Joeys house, but I think Henry saw me. I’m not sure what he thought, but I think he just let it happen; he didn’t try to follow me or anything. So life was good, I had two boyfriends neither of them knew about the other and I just had my fun. Both of them were buying me presents on my birthday, them taking me out for free dinners. I was really enjoying my life now, I felt on top of the world and nothing could stop me.

When I woke up from the coma, my head felt like I had just got clunked in the head with a bat or something. I had the worst head ache ever, ever. I guess I’m pretty lucky to wake up though, but I think it’s because I had a kiss from my true love. She was about to bring me home two days later.
“Bye Dr. Brandt thanks for keeping me alive. You gave me my life back, thank you; it’s like your god.”
“I’m just glad to see you awake Henry. If you ever need to come to the hospital please ask for me, it would be great to see you again sometime. You are a really nice fellow.”
“It would be a pleasure to see you again Dr. Brant, you practically saved my life.”
When I got home Victoria made me a sub sandwich with pickles, ham, and lettuce. She also poured me a big glass of Root Beer. Then I turned on some Cheers, and she sat next to me while we watched it, about halfway in she said that I should head on down to the police station, they wanted to talk to me about the crash. I woke up and went down to the police station. When I got there I greeted Officer Dan with a hearty
“Hello”
“Hi Henry, feeling better? Do you have a minute to talk to me about the crash?”
“Somewhat, but I could be better. Yea I can talk I don’t have any plans.”
“So how much do you remember about the crash?”
“All I can remember is going halfway into the intersection when a car struck the driver side door.”
“Anything else or is that all you can remember?”
“That’s it”
“I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news for you.”
“Yea”
“The passenger in the drunk driver’s car was sober and the collision made him slam his head into the dash board. They tried to save him but it was too late. His name was Tyler, we rushed him to the hospital, but he died there shortly after arriving.”
“That news isn’t so sad to me; I mean it was his fault that he got in the car with him, and they were the ones that hit me. You know what screw you guys I’m getting outta here.”
“Henry I think you need to calm down.”
“Don’t tell me what to do, you aint in charge of me, I can do what I want.”
So I stormed out of the police station and drove home. When I got there I saw her get picked up by someone. I just assumed that it was her mom or something. Another time though I saw her sneak off again. So I went to her mom’s house to see if she was there, nope just her mom and dad watching a movie.
“Hi Mrs. White, can I talk to you for a second?”
“Why what’s wrong?”
“I have been seeing Victoria sneaking around lately; do you know what’s up?”
“Yea she has a boyfriend named Joey.”
“Joey DeBiase?”
“Yea that’s it, why?”
“That’s one of my best friends. I can’t believe he would do this to me. Thank you Mrs. White.”
So I found out that she had been cheating on me and I couldn’t stand it. I was going to stop this nonsense. I made a plan. It was so, so, so, so, so, so sneaky, the sneakiest ever. Then I went out one day to buy something. I picked one up it was 9mm Colt. I bought fifty rounds for it. So I waited for her. To sneak out again, and then I would follow her.
Hahaha, nobody will ever know what I am thinking. If people knew what I was thinking they would say I’m crazy, CRAZY. Now I’m obviously not crazy, you have to be a psychopath to be considered crazy.
It was late one night when I saw Victoria creeping out towards his car. She walked quickly to his car. When they started to drive away I picked it up, got my keys, and got in the car. I drove with my head lights off. They stopped at a pretty big house, it looked nice too. They went in together, and exactly one hour later I rang the doorbell. Joey came to the door with only a robe on.
“Hey is Victoria there with you?”
“No I haven’t seen her.”
“Oh but she is here I watched you pick her up and drive here.”
Just then he tried to slam the door shut but I was already inside I pushed him over, and then tied him up to a chair. Then I went upstairs to find her, she was in there under the sheets. I asked
“Have you been cheating on me? Oh wait I already know the answer to that question. I bet you wish I died, or at least wish I was still in the coma, buy I found out about you. All thanks to your lovely mother.”
“Leave me alone Henry!”
“I’m sorry I can’t, I must do this.”
She tried to run buy I caught her quickly and easily. I tied her up too, and then threw both of them in the trunk of my car. I drove for a solid twenty minutes out to the Arizona desert where nobody can here you, it’s practically the dark side of the moon. I took them out and threw them on the ground. I made them sit there while I pulled out my gun.
“I’m glad I put that tape over your mouths, I hate when people scream.”
For minutes I just stood there staring at them with my gun out. I took the keys out of the ignition and I buried them in the sand.

“Why Victoria, Why?
Did you think that I would never find out about this?”
“Help me” she moaned from behind her tape covered mouth.
“I can’t believe you did this to me, but I bought this gun to finally end it.”

Gun shots ring through the desert.

Nothing really inspired me, i just got a good idea and went with it.