Jerry's Hike of Horror | Teen Ink

Jerry's Hike of Horror

By Jackmagee13 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Jackmagee13 BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Jerry’s Hike of Horror                  

There was a hiker named Jerry and today he was hiking up a giant mountain called Bon’s peak, when he got stranded.  It took 7 hours of hiking and rock climbing to get to this rugged peak.  Bon’s peak was the mountain that made hikers and rock climbers famous, and also put some unlucky rock climbers 6 feet underground, if their body was found.  It was the Mount Everest of rock climbing, several people did it but it was the most challenging mountain of them all.  Now Jerry is at the peak of this mountain and for him that was the best feeling in the world.  But then, that night, when he was asleep his whole trip changed for the worst. 
Jerry is at the peak with a tent, sleeping bag, a couple energy bars, water, medical equipment/first aid kit, jam, flashlight and a cellphone but there is no service up here at 25,000ft.
With no equipment, Jerry finds that backpacks with tight straps are definitely worth the extra 10 bucks.  Jerry spent an hour or two attempting anything he could think of nothing worked except the jar of jam that he ate this morning.  Jerry missed his friend by now.
24 hours earlier, Jerry had met Tom, Tom was horrible.  He had a bad attitude, bad mouth and no clue what he was doing or where he was going.  That night Jerry was sound asleep with Tom beside him, he was dreaming of them at the top of the mountain and making it down safely  and becoming famous when Tom started screaming.  He ran out of the tent and into the woods before Jerry had time to react.
Jerry came out of the tent and Tom was no where to be found, I admit it Tom was horrible but no one should be left behind, especially up here.  Jerry went back into the tent and agreed that he would find Tom in the morning because there was no way he was finding him tonight.  Jerry woke up and forgot all about Tom then when he was adventuring down a ways he saw Tom’s half-drank water bottle and his survival pack with medical supplies, Tom was a doctor.  Then Jerry ran toward where the supplies lead to and then he saw a little figure down below.  It was Tom and most of the other medical supplies were rolling down the hill, Jerry was relieved. 
Then, Tom started screaming again and then he disappeared, Jerry thought to himself “ I’m not losing him again that easy.”  So Jerry ran down the hill as fast as his legs could carry him, which include tripping and painful falls. After that, his legs clipped on one rock which sent him over the edge and onto this small cliff edge which over the other side had a drop of what Jerry estimated of about 1,200ft which would give him no chance of survival. 
Then through the cracks of the big rock in front of him he saw Tom.  Tom had his leg caught in between two rocks and was at the edge of about a 25-30ft drop to rocks which could tear him to pieces.  Tom was struggling trying to get his leg free because he couldn’t sit like that forever.  Then the rock finally budged, but sent Tom off to the wrong side and that was when he dropped. 
I see him hit the ground on rocks and see his body helplessly being thrown around like a rag doll, meanwhile he’s screaming at the top of his lungs.  Then he comes to an immediate stop at this big rock but he hit that rock hard.  I don’t know how he could’ve survived that and the screaming stops.  I’m yelling “Tom” as loud as I can but he doesn’t respond.
After that I realized what a horrible position I was in myself.  I was just thinking to myself “it’s all Tom’s fault” but then I remembered, Tom’s dead.  I instantly forgive him, then I tried to use the cracks as rock climbing pegs and I kept trying.  Then I remember.  “Your wrist is broken in 3 different places we can’t let you hike right now” said Doctor Bill Dawn who is one of the best doctors in the state.  I’m really regretting my decision to lie to Tom and sneak up to this mountain with a partially shattered wrist.  Tom was constantly asking why I was wincing every time I used my left arm.
   That injury made it almost impossible to get up.  The next morning my arms were on fire, I had no luck and I think my wrist is broken in 4 different places now.  Then, I though what if I try this a different way so I tried to use the jam jar as a peg and I shoved it in a crack and it stayed and supported my weight.  This was a sign of relief because now i could get up.  I got up and went straight to where Tom hit the rock.
There was blood there, but that’s it.  Tom must still be alive so I yelled ”Tom” then I screamed it, no luck.  Then I saw the medical supplies opened and almost everything was gone.  Then I looked everywhere but couldn’t find him so I yelled “Tom” once more.  It was silent for a moment then I heard “Jerry?” “Come help me” “I’m so sorry.”  Then I see him with his back against a tree and there is blood all over him. 
He tried putting all of the bandages over his massive, jagged wounds but there just weren't enough so I took my shirt off,which was surprisingly really hard with a broken wrist and he gave me a puzzled look, and then I tried wrapping it around the gash on his head and it worked.  Tom also took his shirt off and wrapped it tightly to his stomach.  He felt way better and so that afternoon we took the 6 hour hike down to the base. 
On the car ride home he told me that he was screaming because there were bats in the tent and then he thought he saw big foot the second time and that was when he fell and got stuck he also was knocked out after the fall so he didn’t hear me.  I told him about my hardships and my shattered wrist and when I was on the edge of the cliff and he was amazed and said “oh that’s why you were wincing every time you used that arm”.  Then we got home and told our families about this crazy adventure and Tom has been my best friend ever since. 
Living life on the edge by skydiving and rock climbing,if it had a thrill/dangerous feeling to it we did it.  Now at 65years young we still haven’t hiked Bon’s peak again but we have done some things like hiking and the occasional skydive, but we’ve gotten a lot less dangerous and we are still very tight and our family do a lot with each other. 
Me and Tom just got my 6 year old son and his 4 year old son to start hiking and rock climbing.  There is so much in common between Tom and his little boy, there is so much potential for him to become an amazing rock climber and athlete.   Well my son is now 27 and he is still rock climbing and is training himself to do the hike that almost took me and Tom from our families and the world its self.  He says he’s going to do it and I believe that he will.  He will do it for me and Tom.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences