Nine Greedy Kings | Teen Ink

Nine Greedy Kings

By k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

They are the only ones who desire power. I am the only one who gives it to them. Nine greedy kings with crowns so bright and swords so sharp. Nine who do not need more but long for it. Nine powerful rulers persuaded by my deception. From my tower, I can see them, but others fail to see and perceive an illusion.
Their power is ceasing. They send agonized cries into the air. They search high and they search low and smell the ring with their disciplined nose and trample the ground with black horses and never quit their pursuit. This is how they hunt.
If one were to stop the chase, they’d all wither like grass with no rain, each stepping on each other to survive. Hunt, hunt, hunt they know when I watch. They race.
When I am too disabled and too weak to continue, when I am a watchful eye fastened to my topmost tower, then it is I need the kings. When there is nothing I can do myself. Nine who search despite terrible odds. Nine who look and do nothing but look. Nine whose only reason to be is greed.

This story is based on Lord of the Rings characters. The kings in the poem are the men who recieved rings; the I in the poem is Sauron.

The structure of this piece is inspired by Four Skinny Trees by Sandra Cisneros.